Custom Fenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Custom Fenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 11:52 am:

I'm trying to find somewhere that will make me some custom fenders for my speedster. So far, I'm striking out. Apparently there are very few fabricators who actually fool with making fenders by hand. Anybody have any suggestions on who I can talk to? I have a picture of basically what I want:

The only difference is that I want the rears made longer so that if you are looking at the tire from the side, the rear fender will wrap from 3 oclock to 9 oclock. The fronts will go from about 1 to 9. I have balloon tires on 21" Hayes demountable rims. The actual diameter of the tire ends up right at 30". Thanks for any leads!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 11:57 am:

I'm not sure who could make them, but it looks to me that those are basically motorcycle fenders. Maybe you could start at a motorcycle shop?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 11:58 am:

Do you want them rounded like the ones in the picture? If so I would think a motorcycle fender might work. Or are you looking for something flatter with a more period look. Is this for your '14?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 12:09 pm:

This is for my '14. I thought the same thing Cameron! It's basically the same size and general profile of a front motorcycle tire. It's like nobody wants any work or any kind of project. Every motorcycle shop I've talked to is either too busy or just not interested. The one shop I found that would do it is in Texas and wanted $600 per fender (CRAZINESS).

I just want them lightly rounded, mostly flat, and definitely not wider than the edge of the tire, so about 4.5" wide at the most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:05 pm:

I made similar fenders for my speedster many years ago using repro rear-mount spare tire covers for (IIRC) a mid-30s Ford. They were barely wide enough to cover the width of the tires, which sounds like what you want. I am traveling now and don't have any photos handy of the car with fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:09 pm:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/c33/buy/fenders/

http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-fenders

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/trailer-fenders

I'm in the same boat(tail)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:15 pm:

I found some on eBay a year or so ago. So look there. Yes they were motorcycle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:16 pm:

Hi Seth

Change of subject! I donít see a Zenith S4BF carburetor and manifold on your Model T Speedster in picture shown above. In some of the pass forum article you mention running a Zenith S4BF carburetor and how great it perform on your car. Question is have you found a better carburetor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:25 pm:

Art - The "picture shown above" is not Seth's speedster. It's just a picture of a car that has basically the type fender that Seth wants. I believe Seth's speedster is shown on his profile page,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:30 pm:

That's not my car up there unfortunatley. I would LOVE to have a Mercury body for my speedster. I'm really like the direction my brass era speedster is going though. Anyway, here's the current setup on my engine - I found the correct Zenith intake to match my S4BF carb and man it sure does zoom!! I haven't had a chance to run any other kind of carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:40 pm:

Hey Chris, thanks for the links - I may drive the T by Tractor Supply and see if one of the fenders they have is close enough to work if I just grind the sides off and tweak it a little bit.

Here are some pics of my speedster. I'm basically going to copy this speedster top, except mine will be in black. http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/speedster_top.htm
Fenders on this speedster are also very much like what I'm looking for.

This is the latest configuration with the new dropped axle.

You can't see it very well, but I needed the dropped axle because the car actually leans back a little with the stock axle - see pic below.

Anyway, I think it will look a little more finished with fenders and a top. More like a gentlemens speedster than a race car. I'm having a wood tool box made out of hickory for the back. Once I get it all done and together I'm going to repaint the rims, gas tank, and body the same yellow, it'll just be clean and fresh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:48 pm:

You might try J&P motorcycle parts online. They have very reasonable prices.

They advertise this fender for $30

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/990-524?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CIT9g7uB2LkCFexDMgodAQcAGw\

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 01:56 pm:

In the last couple of years I have spent some time using a "bead roller" and a "shrinker and stretcher". It is pretty amazing what you can accomplish yourself. You will have to make your own dies probably for the bead roller. You can certainly round over the edges with maybe close to a 1" radius. Then work using the shrinker to shape them into a curve to suit the tire. Then "wire" the edges. Sure you will make a little scrap along the way, but you will lean a lot and gain a lot of skill too.

The problem is that most of the motorcycle fenders are for slightly smaller diameter tires. So another option is use a "stretcher" along the edges to open up the diameter. Yes you will probably have to do a bit of hammer and dolly work to get them back to totally smooth. But if you work carefully you will get there. So buy one motorcycle fender that suits you and use it to learn on, even if you throw it away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 02:06 pm:

Hey Les, I wouldn't have any problem with figuring out how to just make what I want on my own except that I don't have any of those tools or even access to some. If anything, I'd rather make them myself as then I will have exactly what I want in the end.

Some of the fenders at Tractor Supply look very close and if nothing else I should be able to tweak them to what I want. My ultimate goal is to have the fenders made, figure out the mounting portion, make sure they are steady and don't shake or vibrate too much when I'm driving, then I'm going to send them off and have them brass plated to match the rest of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 04:00 pm:

Seth
OK my philosophy.
1.If I buy a tool like what I am talking about I don't view as a "expense". I figure I have acquired a "asset". Which when I am too old or no longer need I can sell or pass on
2. Entertainment costs money. I figure learning and doing as entertainment. My goal is to learn something new every day
3. If it didn't cost you something it probably isn't worth much
4. If someone else makes it for you they had all the "fun". I want to have the fun!!!!!

I bought mine at a "tool store". Eastwood sells this stuff. Tech colleges run night courses. Shop the used tool listings online. Ask friends. The stuff is out there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 04:35 pm:

I think Harbor Fright has English wheels. You can't get cheaper than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 09:03 pm:

How soon do you want them? And, do you have the brackets already? You can't eliminate all vibrations in the fenders since they're mounted on one side. The brackets must be heavier than the fenders to reduce the vibrations. Even then, they're attached to the axles that are constantly moving.

I can make them, just not right now. I'm at a work point where I can start catching up on house, property and equipment maintenance. Several years of "Band-Aid" fixes and doing without have caught up to me. I have to get some of those done first. And a box full of George's lanterns. :-)

Shoot an email with a sketch and/or specs and I can take a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred McDonald on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 09:13 pm:

Seth: I was going to use the tire wells out of an older Ford which you can buy or order new from Ford parts counter. They should be $25-$30 each. They are the right size and can be easily adapted to the speedster with proper brackets to hold them. I sold mine to another Model T friend and don't think he has used them. Email me on private contact and I will give you his number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 02:30 pm:

Ken, Fred, check your email(s).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration