Add drain plug to differential?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Add drain plug to differential?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 08:43 pm:

Ok I know that Mr. Ford (Henry) didn't spec out a drain plug for the differential but since mine is apart I thought about installing one. It would definitely help when changing differential oil.

Does someone make a kit or do you guys just make your own by welding a fitting to the housing?

Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 09:23 pm:

You don't tell us what year you're working on,but most years from 15-27,the differential housing is thick enough to drill and tap for a 1/8 NPT plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 09:38 pm:

15 Coupelet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 10:24 pm:

I just drilled and taped one in place under the car. The oil keeps the few chips in place and most will come out with the old oil. I did do a flush with mineral spirits. As it is, this rear end which is a Ruckstell, has more problems that came to light. Lots of metal flakes which looks to be ring gear.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration