OT At a car show

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: OT At a car show
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 01:58 pm:

The title says it all

There are 8 cars in the older than1932 class with most of them being model As and speedsters

There has been a ton of interest in the my T
Every once in awhile I start it and sometimes let kids sit in it.

One lady asked if I cranked it and after I answered yes she asked how far it goes after you wind it up.
And she was serious!! The folks that were standing around just smiled and shook their heads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 02:37 pm:

There's a fruit stand not far from where I live that I go to in the TT from time to time. The young lady (20 - 24 years old) who is the cashier, upon recognizing me in spite of the fact that I arrived in a modern car, said, "You're the guy with the old truck you have to wind up!".

At least she remembered me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 04:00 pm:

Update. My T won first place in class

I now have 3 trophies for three shows.
1first and 2 seconds

They gave us a choice between driving our vehicle or walking to get the trophy. Since the T was far away I started to walk but they insisted that I drive so people could watch me crank it.

I was also invited to attend a drive-in at a county nursing home next Saturday -I hope I can go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 07:56 pm:

Congrats Fred, and at the risk of sounding like bragging, about the same time you and your T were winning first in class, so was my '12 Roadster pickup. "Antique class"-- 1900-1940. About 10 cars, mine was only T, the rest A's and I might say a couple were pretty darned nice. But ol' "Pete" as I call him, is always a draw to the crowds. Everybody says what a cute little pickup! Glad to hear you're doing well. The best part is the smiles, and the memories it brings back to the "real old" folks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 08:14 pm:

Fred,
I do the same thing, and love going to car shows and talking to people.
But just a word of caution. I let a cute little 6 y/o boy sit in my car once at a show and when his mom told him it was time to get out, he started throwing a tantrum and kicking his feet, and kicked a hole in the passenger side pressboard(?) quarter panel that was original. Now I can't replace it without it looking out of place or redoing them all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 03:44 pm:

Thanks Guys -- It was fun beating those spotless Model A's with an au natural Model T :-)

My 10yo granddaughter was both happy and sad.
She was happy that I got a trophy and sad that she was not there!

Bob - sometimes the kids just sit and are afraid to touch anything - Others want to push and pull everything.
When the second type is there I remind them that the vehicle is really old we don't want to hurt it.
99% of the time it works.
If the kids seem unruly when they look at the car I don't offer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 04:10 pm:

A couple were looking when i left the coffee shop so i did a crank start,a free one,and a mag start.Explaining the car is much more fun with kids in it.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 04:49 pm:

Bob, just curious: did Mom offer to make good the damage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 05:39 pm:

Why is this labeled OT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 06:19 pm:

Ralph - because someone said "Model A". Just kidding of course. WTG Fred!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 09:12 am:

Ralf - Just attempting to be politically correct :-)

I didn't want the forum police to get their shorts in a twist if they felt that the subject matter was not specifically T related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 09:27 am:

This is a copy of the "Car Show - drive in" flyer that is being planned for next weekend. It might give some of you an idea about what you might do.

I'll go if I can and hope someone does the same for me in a few years :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 09:56 am:

Sounds like fun. I'd go if I wasn't already committed to giving airplane rides to kids all day. (That's my other toy!)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration