Oil pan distortion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Oil pan distortion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Haddock on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 07:10 pm:

Hello,
I removed the pan from a 23 touring that's been in the family since new. I've been reading about the oil pan distortion and sure enough, the pan is tweaked. The bolt holes from side to side don't line up and the 4th main doesn't fit properly unless I fit a taper punch through the pan to block holes on both sides. This lines up the pan to the block and pulls the rear of the pan over almost far enough for the bolt holes to line up on the rear bearing cap. With all the stresses that are placed on the pan from engine weight, front end stabilizer torque, possible frame distortion, it seems like simply straightening the pan might not be enough to keep it all in line after everything is bolted into place. Am I over thinking this? Should I try putting it together and just pull the tail end of the pan into position or should I have the pan straightened? BTW, the pan came off to repair the clutch driven hub which had all of the rivets coming loose. Is there anyone in or near Michigan that straightens them? Didn't mean for this to get so wordy. I would much appreciate any help or advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 07:50 pm:

If it were mine I would straighten the pan. Relive as much stress as possible on that crank shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 08:21 pm:

That could be the reason for the rivets coming loose. There would also be a lot of stress on them from this distortion of the crankcase. The stress will also be on the crankshaft which will cause the main engine bearings premature wear and could cause the crankshaft to break. Find someone with a straightening jig to straighten it out. After you straighten it so that there is no strain to keep it in line, your engine and transmission will thank you.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 10:01 pm:

Craig: You might get in touch with Phil or Mark Eyre. They're near you and I would think they'd know where you could get a pan straightened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 10:07 pm:

If you can't slide the rear main cap on without interference, you need to find someone with a KRW pan fixture, and get it straightened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Haddock on Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 07:50 pm:

Not having much luck finding anyone with a pan jig in the Michigan area, seems that most of the rebuilders that use them are on the west coast. Also seems odd that with as much emphasis as there seems to be about ensuring the pan is true that there aren't more people offering the service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 07:59 pm:

Try Joe Bell,Tiffon ,OH or Jack Putnam in Blufton,Oh. Ron's Machine shop in Shandon ,Oh.all can do that work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 08:07 pm:

Craig, you are welcome to come and use it your self and beat away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 09:02 pm:

I don't have access to a straightener either, so I used an 27 block with the hogs head bolted on, worked out well, did 2 pans on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 01:33 pm:

Craig, Joe Bell was kind enough to allow me to visit his shop in Tiffin to use his pan jig on mine a few months ago. He also helped me by adding some reinforcement (brazing) to the pan arm rivets. It's back together and in the frame. Fitted up exactly as everyone describes it should, with no binding. Take him up on his generous offer, you'll be happy you did (I am - Thanks again, Joe!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Haddock on Monday, October 07, 2013 - 06:40 pm:

Thanks all and thank you Joe for the offer. I'll get hold of you to set up a visit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration