Driveshaft tube to transmision gap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Driveshaft tube to transmision gap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 10:01 am:

After recently rebuilding the rear end on my 15 touring I proceeded to bolt up the drive shaft housing to the transmission.

There was about a 3/4" gap which I was able to pull up tight with the 4 bolts/nuts. Later I thought that if I had put on the wheels and lowered the cars weight on them, that gap probably would have closed up putting far less strain on the bolts/nuts, transmission ears, etc.

Yesterday I decided to replace the top two bolts with something closer to original, and decided to loosen all 4 bolts/nuts to see if the gap had closed up.

Well, there was still a 1/4" gap there, even with the weight of the car on the rear end.

So here's the question: Is that gap something to be concerned about? It pulled up tight easily. Would it be a good idea to loosen the rear spring hangers and attempt to let things realign themselves ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 10:04 am:

Bud: Get behind the rear axel & give agood push forward with both boots. The ball has to seat in the "4th main". Gravity is a Bitsch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 10:07 am:

I really don't think it's a problem, but you can loosen the four nuts clamping the rear spring to the frame before tightening up the drive shaft housing to trans screws. Maybe the rear spring resettles a little, then you can tighten everything up again :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 12:45 pm:

Bud: Did you think of the rear spring hangers, as a thought you might loosen them and tighten the ball cap bolts and the the spring hangers. Just my thoughts.

bill d

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration