I found a real cool find at the Monroe Swap Meet this weekend - an almost complete Kingston B-1 Gasifier (Vaporizer). From the past threads that I have read, the Kingston is superior to the Holley, which I am currently running. I do not have any issues with my vaporizer, but am anxious to try this one out.
On page 399 of Bruce's book, there is a parts list and I am missing the breather cap, part #2275-5X. Would anyone have one they would like to part with? Please PM me if you do. Thanks!
I have a complete B-1 that I am keeping but I could post a few pictures of the breather cap. It is pretty simple and i'm sure you could make up something for it until one turns up.
Perhaps you could send me the dimensions? Thanks!
Here is a photo and some measurements. Drawing is pretty crude but should work, let me know if you need more detail or measurements.
Thanks a million!
I always considered the part that Jim is missing a flame arrestor. I think it would not be very difficult to convert it to an air filter. I have 3 complete B=1 Gasifiers two of which are NOS if you have any specific questions about how they go together.
I have very positive news to tell about the Gasifier. The Gasifier needed a bit of TLC, but I was able to successfully get it running tonight. In a nutshell, the throttle arm needed to be rebrazed (it had work done to it in the past), the venturi/throttle needed to be cleaned out, the carb adjustment knob was missing the spring, not allowing it to idle, and I couldn't make a gasket to save my life to stop it from leaking gas out of the bottom of the bowl.
Sunday, I found a spring in some parts that fit the carb adjustment knob. Using Permatex #2 gasket sealer that I had on hand, I smeared it top and bottom on the lead gasket that I made, the threads and both surfaces of the nut to the carb bowl.
I got home tonight after work and rehearsal (about 9:30 pm) and was extremely tired, but anxious at the same time to see if things worked. I pulled the car into the driveway and turned on the gas. No leaks!!!!! 1st problem solved.
I then fired up the car. I must say that the Holley Vaporizer starts much easier than this one - it fires up like a new car; however, I was still tweaking the adjustments, so I will give it the benefit of the doubt. The carb adjuster worked beautifully - in fact, it is all the way in. I was able to get the car to idle quite well by adjusting the throttle screw, then took it for a spin - in the misty, dark.
Good news on that front, as well. I did notice quite an acceleration difference between Ford low and Ford high - it didn't lug down like it usually does. I did notice that I needed to enrich the fuel when driving the car full speed as opposed to at an idle. Other than that, that was the only tweaking I needed to do with the fuel needle adjuster.
I am totally pumped about this! Probably the greatest benefit is that I am not getting the exhaust smell that I was from the Holley. I had the manifold magnifluxed prior to the engine restoration and I was told that there were no leaks....