Transmission Noise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Transmission Noise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Greenberg on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 06:24 pm:

Our 1923 Model T has developed a clunk noise when I move the clutch pedal from low to high. Once in high gear, there is no noise and the car runs well and quiet. There is no noise when I push the clutch pedal into the low gear from a stopped condition. And there is no noise when I press the reverse pedal from a stopped condition. So I have ruled out the universal joint. Any suggestions as to what causes the clunk and is there anything I can do short of removing the engine and transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 07:13 pm:

Does it do it when the engine is not running? Have you removed the door and looked inside?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 07:22 pm:

When you stop, the u joint and rear end is preloaded towards reverse. I suspect the noise is from a failed part in the rear end, or an unpinned U joint that has worn the drive shaft to U joint interface surfaces. Or a shot U joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 10:54 pm:

Like Royce, I suspect the rear axle as a possibility. It's often the real source of "transmission" noises. Do you know if it's been rebuilt? Have you ever looked inside? Here's why I ask: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 02:09 am:

We had a noise in the "transmission" and Lee Pierce suggested we listen with a stethoscope (?) with the car running. So Greg & I removed the flooring and listened at the transmission and then down the torque tube and sure enough it got louder as we moved to the rear! We pulled the axle and the pinion was shot.
Both the owner and the first shop were wrong about the "transmission" noise. The 'scope only cost a few bucks at Harbor Freight and it save far more than that on the first job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 12:54 pm:

A clunk like that is pretty normal if you are running "modern" clutch discs...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 01:12 pm:

Allan,

See if you have excessive fore & aft play in the torque tube ball joint. If there is too much play, (due to worn out ball joint clamp ring), it will clunk just as you describe.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration