Starter Field Coils Test

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Starter Field Coils Test
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 08:20 am:

As long as I have it apart, I'd like to test the field coils. They are loose in their mountings, which leads me to believe something has happened inside. Are the individual conductors wrapped, or just varnished?

I don't have access to an inductance meter. In case I get use of one, how many microhenries should they test to?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 10:46 am:

Rick,
If you have doubt about the field coils just change them. They are available as lot of the parts needed for a starter rebuild.
At Snyders it is T-5107 for $63.75.

Good luck
Andre
belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl W. Becker on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:30 am:

they can be rewrapped, usually

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:59 am:

I considered just replacing them, but I have these wired in series for 12v, and I don't want to go through that PITA again with new coils.

The starter worked really good, until I overworked it recently with an overly tight engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 12:29 pm:

Rick,

I do not change the starter from 6V to 12V I keep the 6V set up with a 12V battery for 11 years now .
I use the right big wiring and a starter relais without any problem till now.

Watch also following discussion.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/395012.html

Good luck
Andre
Belgium

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration