Jiffy Jack - antique jack how to use? picture

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Jiffy Jack - antique jack how to use? picture
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:22 am:

These "jacks" came with some parts I bought at auction. It seems I can use them as a jack stand, but curious if anyone has a picture of what i assume is an attachment between the jack handle and jack itself. Perhaps I can fabricate something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:40 am:

I would think that all you do is set the shorter piece next to a hole, install a pin, and then apply pressure on the handle to lift the car and bring the handle in all the way to the post. Hopefully it will snap in place and not hit the edge of the base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:45 am:

I would think just a pin. Line up 2 holes and put the pin in and it would be like a load binder for chains only it pushes rather than pulls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 12:37 pm:

I believe those are "Jiffy-Jax" tire savers made by the Jiffy-Jack Co. They would be purchased in sets of four.

You put the jack on the outside of the wheel, under the hub. They're used during long term storage (such as putting the car up for the winter).

I would use them for their intended purpose, not as heavy duty jack stands so you can lie under the car while working on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 12:56 pm:

Click on this link for information regarding Jiffy-Jax tire savers:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22jiffy-jax%22+%22jiffy-jack%22&client=safari&rl s=en&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=awpkUv20FMK6yAHw2YDICQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&biw=1275&bih=702 &dpr=1#q=%22jiffy-jax%22+tire+savers&rls=en

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 01:08 pm:

So the lift was only to get the weight off the tire? They don't look very stable with that small base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 01:23 pm:

There were many different brands of tire saving jacks.

They usually have a narrow profile because they are put under the hub on the outside of the wheel, not under the axle. The lifting mechanism is designed so the wheel can be lifted or lowered quickly. You lift the wheel high enough so the tire does not touch the floor.

They are typically used for long term storage to avoid flat spots in the tire, although they were also advertised to keep tires off oily garage floors so you could use them on a daily basis if desired (probably one reason for the quick lifting mechanisms).

I would consider them safe as long as they are used for their intended purpose. As indicated earlier, they are not designed to hold the car up for mechanical work where the car could be jostled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 03:21 pm:

John F. Engle
Cleveland, Ohio
Assignor to Walter L. Widlar
Lakewood, Ohio
Tubular Tire Saving Jack
Patent number: 1164598
Filing date: Oct. 24, 1913
Issue date: Dec. 14, 1915
http://tinyurl.com/lsedlle

(Walter Widlar was connected with the Jiffy Jack Company)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 06:28 pm:

Thanks it amazes me what I learn from you all!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration