Model t truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Model t truck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cathy on Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 07:27 pm:

We have a 1917 model t. It have a 1967 Jeespter commando V-6 225 engine in it. It keeps burning up the points in it. We have replace the points dis cap plug wire coil and the resistor also replace the condenser in it too. But it keep burn up the pints in it. We can drive more the 50 miles because you will not make it back home. I need help with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 07:46 pm:

Well most will tell you its not a "T". Make sure that you have the right coil. And you need a ballast resister the system. Good luck, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 08:05 am:

A jeep engine in a Model T? Hmmm. As far as your points go I just went through that problem with my 49 Plymouth. I would say to start with is to check your voltage both in and out of the coil. I'm assuming the system is 12 volt. Make sure your coil is not wired backwards. The wire coming from the battery should be on the + side and the wire going to the points to the - side. Then check the voltage at the coil, You should have 12 volts coming into the coil and around 4 volt going to the points. If this is right then check your points gap. It should be around 18 to 20 thousands. With out knowing what the recommended point gap for a 67 jeep is that would be my best guess. The only other thing to look for is the points going to ground somehow. But I would start with the coil and point gap first. It really sounds like the points are either to close or getting to much voltage from the coil. The difference between and resistor coil and non resistor is the voltage going to the points, To much voltage and it will cook your points in a very short time.. Resistor coils are easy to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Grohsmeyer on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 02:08 pm:

Also many engines in that vintage had 12v going to the coil when cranking to improve starting, then dropped a resistor into the circuit when the key returned to the Run position, lowering the voltage to 9v to prevent point burnup while running. I had a '50 Willy's with a Buick engine in it that had to be wired that way, or points didn't last long.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration