Head Life

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Head Life
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 02:07 pm:

Some recent posts about heads brought to mind a question? There are heads I see that seem to have been surfaced at some point. There are probably variations in each casting. At some point a head is just to used up.
I would like to know if there is a reliable way to visibly examine a head and I.D. the ones that just don't have enough material left for further milling to restore a level surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 04:12 pm:

I think it is a judgement call. Not all heads are cast the same. 1917 Canadian high cylinder heads have a thicker deck area and can probably be milled 3/16".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 09:37 pm:

I saw a model T head milled 1/4 inch. It was re-ally pushing the limit in my opinion. It had begun to enlarge around the water jacket passages. I never heard if it worked or not. One of the earlier low heads I have looks to have been milled a lot, but I have not measured it to see how much. Guess I should. I plan to use it and see what happens.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 09:42 pm:

I guess I should also mention that usually when heads are milled a lot like this, it is to raise the compression. When milling to make a proper, flat, fit, they are usually only milled a small amount (often about .010 inch). I do not like milling heads a bunch for compression reasons only. The one I have was like this when I got it years ago.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration