Midget Racer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Midget Racer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 09:44 am:

I just dragged this home last night...
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/174-Midget-Racer

It's on a modified T frame with T springs, but everything else is later. I'm guessing it was built in the late 40s?

I don't know any history on it, but it came from the Tomah, WI area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 10:47 am:

That is very well made. They still run those cars today but put those ugly box like wings on them along with the necessary superfluous roll bars. They call them "Outlaws" and I suppose that all of the extra parts do save lives but they are double ugly. Are you going to restore it ?

Midget

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 11:13 am:

They still have a ways to go in the driver safety area, just ask Tony Stewart....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 01:06 pm:

I would like to restore it, but I have several other projects that are higher on the priority list right now...

It should be fun to look for the parts to make it complete though. Having too many cars that I can order everything I need out of a catalog has made swap-meets kind of boring. This should rectify that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 05:30 pm:

That isn't the type that used the 2 cylinder engines cut in half from a 4 cylinder is it? I had a friend who had a frame and wheels similar to that. There was a Chevy cut in half, a model A and a T with half an overhead with "JO" cast in it. Wish I could have talked him out of it.
Neat find.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 06:38 pm:

Nice project and interesting place!

I am wondering what this one is!
Maybe a Curtiscraft?
The one behind it looks like a Pinto modified

In fact the whole junk yard looks like it is full of old race cars because many of them have roll bars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 07:22 pm:

I added a couple pictures of it in the MTFCI thread... easier to do it there, since this forum doesn't allow img tags.

It's a sprint car that I would guess to be from the 70s???

One corner of the yard was all race cars. The owner of the yard is a well known local dirt track driver, and one of the best in the area. A lot of those were his old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 07:33 pm:

Some of them used ELTO two cylinder two cycle outboard motors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 08:06 pm:

My plan is to use a Ford V8-60.

My brother has a V4 engine that was built for a midget in the 60s using the front half of a 425hp Chevy 409, but I know he'd never sell it to me.

It might be cool just to mock it up in there though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 02:29 am:

A lot of midget racers used 60 hp Ford V-8s. There was a midget sized Offy engine. In Denver in '63 and '64 I saw midget racers powered by four cylinder Mercury outboard engines mounted on their sides. Boy, those Mercs really screamed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 07:26 am:

It probably had a V860 for power originally. Neat midget race car, not a Model T though. Model T frame does not make it a Model T.

I would try to find out if it has local history and try to restore it to original authentic as raced condition. It should be eligible for vintage racing events if you do a decent job of documenting what it was originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 01:29 pm:

If those vehicles could talk -
Can you imagine the stories they could tell?

It might be worth just sitting in that corner of the yard on a night with a full moon and see what happens. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration