Holly Carb. 1926 Model T Ford coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Holly Carb. 1926 Model T Ford coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kennedy on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 01:42 pm:

I am trying to get my Model T ready for sale. I need to start it. Everything had worked up to a year & 1/2 ago. My carburetor is leaking. I replaced the gasket for the bowl at the bottom. From underneath the car it was hard to get the gasket flush. It leaks worse now. I don't think the gasket fit right. Seemed too wide. Someone said I could have a sticking float and to tap it with a hammer. Tried that. Gas just runs out of it.
What do you think the problem is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leonard J Evansic on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 03:46 pm:

If the gasket you replaced is the gasket at the top of the bowl, it still should not leak. That gasket is not there to keep fuel in the carb. This gasket along with the nut gasket on the bottom of the bowl--which could leak if not tight--were engineered to seal off the bowl. There is a drain passage to drain off excess fuel when the float needle does not stop fuel from entering the bowl.
Identify your carb. it may not be the one that came with the car
In any case it should be removed and disassembled and cleaned. Could be the float, needle, dirt or just goop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 04:46 pm:

Jim, as for myself, I find that taking the carb off and over to the bench to "play" with it is less hassle than crawling under the car. Much easier to check everything out and repair it that way. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 04:35 am:

I go through this with my car any time it sits for a long time (Holley NH carb). This krappy 10% ethanol gas gums-up the float needle valve. Sometimes my float valve will stick open, sometimes it will stick closed.
Pull the bowl, pull the float, unscrew the float valve, spray it out with carb cleaner and re assemble everything. It's possible that what you are seeing as a bowl gasket leak is actually overflow from the float bowl vent because the float valve is stuck open. Once you get it running again, before you shut the ignition off, close the gas tank valve and let the carb run dry and stall the engine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration