Kirk Wright's 6 Cyl model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Kirk Wright's 6 Cyl model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 01:27 pm:

Through various hand-me-downs I got my hand on some photos take by Kirk in 1997. Thought It would be fun to share these.

Kirk didn't install an oil pump so he added the copper outside oil line to feed oil to the front bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 01:30 pm:

I am impressed by what others can do.

Ake Osterdahl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 01:40 pm:

I wonder if it is still running and how it drove? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 01:42 pm:

Absolutely fantastic. I can't imagine the time put into this.

1. I want to see the timer.
2. Does it run? I want to see/hear that.
3. What is the whole story behind this? It is new to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 01:45 pm:

Just noticed the engine stand. Ha, has a setting for 6 cyl and one for 4 cyl T engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 01:50 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/288037.html?1337594869

Past link with other T-6s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 05:42 pm:

please tell me there is a video of this......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 07:15 pm:

Wow,what a crank shaft setup.
Wow,I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 07:54 pm:

I wonder what kind of jig was made up to weld that thing and have it come out true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 08:37 pm:

As I recall he said it ran good but sounded a lot like a chevy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 09:22 pm:

He used a 6 fingered Anderson style timer, which would make two cylinders 7.5 degrees early and two 7.5 late, when running on mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 09:46 pm:

For all you guys wanting to repair cracked blocks, looks like this guy has a handle on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 09:48 pm:

Which engine number do you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 11:33 pm:

I have done a lot of cut and welding in my life, and would actually consider doing an engine like this. Except for one thing. I don't know if I could trust a crankshaft made that way. Having 120 degree firing would reduce some stress on the crankshaft, but 50 percent more horsepower on the back end would pretty much cancel anything gained off the vibration. One would have to be a better welder than I to make a crankshaft this way.
Neat engine though! I love looking at the photos. Thank you Mike R!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison (Vancouver Washington) on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 01:19 pm:

That is cool as heck!

...Now he just needs to graft two RAJO BBRs or two SR Fronty's together fitted with 6 Winfield SR downdrafts :D and he would be set.

or two Galavan's if he wanted to get really crazy! :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 02:54 pm:

1. Does a video of this running exist?

2. Where is this beast now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 03:00 pm:

Would like to see more of the car that the engine is shown in....particularly the front end, engine set back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 03:39 pm:

I Just got word that this car was sold at Auction a month ago. The auction was held out of Vulcan, AB. The car is now in Red Deer, AB. Kirk Wright built the car in Arizona. Here are the Photos from the Auction house. Harry Lilo from Calgary was at the auction and informed me I will be receiving more photos in the coming days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 04:14 pm:

It was on display at a MTFCA Business Meeting in 1992(?). It ran good but did not sound like a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 04:51 pm:

That's a mighty expensive looking bumper on that buckboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison (Vancouver Washington) on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 05:26 pm:

The body is a bit lacking in the style department for my taste....but I bet it is fun to drive!

So Mike......why do I get the feeling you will be driving a 6-cylinder T in the near future? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 07:05 pm:

Here are current photos of the engine.

You can see that Kirk used an Early block. To help rigid up the transmission he built brackets to convert the early block to a 26-7 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 07:08 pm:

One more of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 07:54 pm:

How did he manage the head gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 09:38 pm:

Erich,
A head gasket should be no problem. There are many companies that can make custom head gaskets but probably the easiest would be to use two standard head gaskets. Just cut then and butt them together near the point that the blocks are brazed together. Just have to be sure that there is nothing critical at the gasket joint.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration