Coilbox brackets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Coilbox brackets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 07:34 pm:

I have an original Heize coilbox that was being stripped for usable parts, when i noticed the backs of the dash mounting brackets show evidence of brass plating. I've seen a number of these boxes with these same brackets, but don't recall that I have ever seen plating on these steel parts. Anybody else seen this?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 08:25 pm:

Yes; these brackets were originally brass plated steel. Of the several dozen boxes I've seen and/or restored, all had the plating except the earliest '11s which were solid brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 09:02 am:

Many thanks RV. What is a reliable plating technology for these? I have brass plated previous parts with lacquer protection, only to find the part tarnishing under the lacquer. I understand goldwash plating holds its finish longer, but not tried that yet. Would you think it practical to remake this part in solid brass?
Regards,
Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration