Didn't like the roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Didn't like the roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:10 pm:

So I added a bed. Every piece is hand made by me. The only parts bought are the tail lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:19 pm:

Nice finish on the wood. Looks like is has been around a while.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:23 pm:

I like the way the grain stands out in the wood.
Nice job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:23 pm:

Nice work! A pickup bed is SO much more useful then a turtle deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:29 pm:

Nice Job. You could have bought the hardware kit for little money, but its not as fun or rewarding as doing it yourself. Looks good and enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:30 pm:

Nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:35 pm:

Sharp looking car, I like it. Nice work on the bed. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:38 pm:

that is sharp as a tack.Good job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:52 pm:

square nuts too, good taste. i made one like it but i bought the latches from langs. very period correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:31 pm:

When you tour with a pickup you need not worry that a couple with a broken car will ask to ride with you for the remainder of the tour, yet you have plenty of room for your own luggage and things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 11:57 pm:

very nice James, I did the same with my bed. Not as nice as yours but I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 07:24 am:

I ordered the chains and hooks from Snyder's and need to add a strip of wood to the front of the bed to match the body mold contour but it is essentially finished. The wood is white oak because it is so clear and the stain is dark walnut. I want to get the nuts changed over the whole bed and do something about the color. I tried to use acid to strip them but it didn't work. I hope to heat them and drop them into a bucket of oil to black them.
I used the lights from Snyder's because they are era correct and have a brake light circuit. I tried to find out what color the brake light wire would be but couldn't find anything in the search. I am going to wire a 28/29 switch in for the brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 08:05 am:

this is the easiest Brake light switch I have found to wire a model t for brake lights worth a look http://www.funprojects.com/products/bls-1.cfm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 08:15 am:

Nice work. I did the same thing about three years ago. Any plans on what to do with the spare tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 08:43 am:

Greta choice I did the same , made all my own irons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Voss on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 08:53 am:

Square Nuts & Bolts in BLACK

contact -- Witmer Coach -- New Holland , PA

717-656-3411

ask for catalog -- 60 plus pages --

lots of stuff , including wheel work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 09:06 am:

Shawn, I like your idea of the extra tall board in front to keep things from sliding forward and hitting the back of the body. My pickup bed doesn't have that, but it does have another feature:

bed1

bed2

bed3

The hinges at the back probably aren't strong enough to enable dumping of a huge load of rocks, but for show purposes (and access to the chassis from above) they work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 10:42 am:

Perhaps after this thread there will be a few turtle decks for sale.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 10:56 am:

I like the dump bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 12:33 pm:

"I ordered the chains and hooks from Snyder's"

Don't forget to slide a length of bicycle tube over the chains before you install them. That will stop them from banging up the beautiful finish on the woodwork and the braces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 12:44 pm:

Mark, I like your battery box too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 02:02 pm:

Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the work on my pickup, but for the most part it this way when I bought it, all I did was the install the seat upholstery, the top, the side curtains, and a few other little detail items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 05:03 pm:

Hi Mark
I love the hinges, makes it a lot easier to change the battery ,
originally, I had hinges but I re designed the box to contour the body a little closer and I can't swing it up now, it rubs ,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, November 29, 2013 - 06:04 pm:

I connected the brake lights today. This may not be permanent but they work great and were cheap. I bought the switch at the Harley shop for 5$. It came with the spring and only needed a piece on the hogshead to attach it. I will get pics and post them later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 07:35 am:

Regarding the spare tire relocation, Jack Daron makes a really nice pair of mount brackets that mount the spare onto the driver's side running board.

spare1

spare2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 08:38 am:

As promised. The switch is an aftermarket part for a Harley. I only had to reverse the actual switch and make the flat bar on the hogshead. I did modify the bracket on the pedal which came with the switch. 30 minutes of work and it was installed and working.

If anyone needs a better explanation or picture, just let me know.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration