Trouble installing clutch basket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Trouble installing clutch basket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 01:23 pm:

I'm to the point of installing the clutch basket behind the drums. I can not get the basket down far enough to allow the set screw to be installed. I need about 1/32 to 1/16" more, but the basket is tight against the washers. I have two washers installed (both are about 0.042") and new bushings. To have a better view, I removed the reverse and low drums and the triple gears. I installed the brake drum and tried to install the basket. Even with out the spacer washers the basket will pinch the brake drum between the input shaft flange and the basket, without being able to get the set screw in.

I must have something installed wrong, but I'm have a brain freeze any ideas?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 02:45 pm:

I found an old input shaft and placed the brake drum and basket on it and the set screw goes right in and there is enough clearance between the basket and the drum for everything to easily rotate. I think that the set screw hole in the input shaft that I have on the engine was drilled a little low.

Here I tried to make a comparison and you can see that one hole is lower than the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 02:55 pm:

Mike,

In your upper photo above, showing the relative locations of the pin hole, is that a crack I see, running vertically and intersecting the hole at the 7 & 11 o'clock positions? Or just a scratch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 03:06 pm:

Hey, you got my attention when you say 'crack'. After looking closely, it's a scratch. Well... what do you think, I think that I need a different input shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 03:12 pm:

Here's a better comparison, With calipers I set them to the shaft on the engine and compared it to the spare shaft. The picture is the spare shaft.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 03:15 pm:

Are all the input shaft simular over the years? Do I have a wrong year shaft or was it miss drilled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 03:19 pm:

Mike,

You're probably correct that they're different. However, the more meaningful dimension to compare would be the one from the flange face, on the shaft side, up to the hole.

I'm sorry but I don't know why they should be different. I'm thinking it may be either a difference in years, early versus late production, or even that the shaft may not be manufactured by Ford. Is it stamped "Ford"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 03:25 pm:

Mike ; are you sure that the brass bussing is 1/4 inch inside the shaft at the flywheel side .
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 03:44 pm:

just to complicate things a little more, if I remember rightly, there was 3 washers behind the clutch basket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 04:04 pm:

Mike
Anthonie is correct. It looks to me the brake drum shaft is off the flange of the main shaft and would be the cause of the problem. The bushing on the shaft needs to be set further in because of the radius on the main shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 05:08 pm:

Ahhhh, That could certainly be the problem. I only have installed it flush. I push it in a little more and try again.

Thanks

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 09:11 pm:

I want to thank you guys for the help. I pressed the bushing in another 1/4" and then everything fits perfect. The transmission is now assembled and ready for bands and covers.

Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration