OT - Text message scam replies to MTFCA Classifieds

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: OT - Text message scam replies to MTFCA Classifieds
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 08:06 am:

Heads Up ....

Apparently software exists to scan the classifieds and generate a text message to your phone ....

Received a text message from 646-504-5289 this morning ....

" Hello ...What is the present condition? "

This was a text message to my cell phone number
on an ad in the MTFCA classifieds

This is the first time
I have received a text message ....

I guess technology exists to scan the classifieds and detect a number - then generate a text message

A variation on the email scam approach but the phone number of the scammer is disclosed in the process

I guess it is worth it to get a disposable cell phone if you are a scammer .....

Jim

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 08:36 am:

Jim
My wife never set up a voice mail box and had Verizon turn off text messaging, so that is the number we use for classifieds etc.... and also posting the number where 1 or two of the numbers are spelled out really cuts down on scammers esp the ones who want you to ship overseas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 08:40 am:

Apparently this has been occurring on craigslist
for awhile - now the scammers are jumping to forums ....

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 08:48 am:

About ten minutes ago, I responded to a scam warning for this area (fake electric company payment phone calls) by saying this: "If scammers spent half the time thinking of ways to do constructive things that they spend dreaming up scams, the world would be a better place...."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration