I installed the "S" New Day timer today. It's the redish/brown/grayish case. I made the brush out of an old generator carbon brush. It took me a couple of tries to get it installed so it wasn't doing the Watusi and something was rubbing and making a heck of a racket when the motor was running. I did some clean up to the case where it rides in the front plate other then that the contact face was in good shape and did not look like it had been run long, guess they got scared off by the bad press.
Once the brush took a set the car settled down and sounded like her old self. As this is a test I will give it some driving time then check how it's doing.
Right now my biggest concern is that the carbon I am using is too soft and will wear fast.
I should add, the brush assembly came out of a friends car. The brush was worn at an angle and was jamming in the housing loosing contact with the timer. The spring hole was drilled off center in it and could enplane why it was cocking in the housing. I drilled the spring hole in the center of the new brush.
I'm looking forward to your results, I got a few of these laying around.
I've seen the brush with angled wear due to the spring being off center. Apparently at least some of them were made that way. But it also had the wrong spring in it. I made a carbon brush too, but I have to do the rear axle before I drive the car and find out how the brush does. The New Day I'm using is a non-S.
The timer I took off is an original New Day which except for oil leaking through the front seal was doing great with the copper type brush. The spring I am using does seem a little on the soft side but I will use if for now.