26-27 Roadster Trunk Lid Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: 26-27 Roadster Trunk Lid Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 06:23 am:

My turtle deck came to me in pieces along with a reproduction deck lid. I am trying to fit the support on the left underside of the lid.

I am guessing it is secured by two flathead rivets or screws and that I need to drill two holes in the on the edge of the lid next to the stamped depression. I show two red lines there. Am I on the right track? What fasteners were originally used?

I have taken photos of several other cars through the years but for some reason I missed this detail. Thanks for any assistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 07:12 am:

You're right, it's riveted there, as far as I can remember. I've got a bent up original lid on mine, will check exact shape of rivets when I get closer to the garage :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 12:12 pm:

Here are a couple pics:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 04:02 pm:

Gents, Thank you All.

Jim Golden also sent me some detailed photos and I now have a good idea of the rivets I need. I drilled the holes undersized and have #8 screws in there temporarily and everything works. The lid stays up and I can latch it too.

This is the first time I've seen the trunk closed on this car. The previous owner gave up trying to make everything fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 08:18 pm:

I did some measuring - seems like the rivets were about 1/4" diameter with 1/2" diameter oval heads. The height of the head about 3/32" and about 1 3/32" distance between rivets. The rivets were inserted from the inside towards the side of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 07:24 am:

Thanks Roger!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration