Which radiator cap?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Which radiator cap?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 09:27 pm:

When I got my 1919, it had the thick, cast rad cap shown on the right. An obvious reproduction. Someone recently gave me the cap on the left. It is a stamping. It also looks like it has chrome plating instead of nickel. Could it be an original? I like it better because it looks larger, is lighter, threads on easier and cools down much faster for easier handling. Which cap do you have on your black era car and why? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 09:58 pm:

Dave,
Based on a previous thread on this forum, "the original 09-12 high fin caps were cast and the original 1913-1927 low fin caps were stamped."

This site will give you some ideas too:
http://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=radiator+cap&page=1&pp=10

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 10:16 pm:

Dave, the 26-27 caps were pressed brass, but had a lip the thickness of yours on the bottom for better sealing. If yours is cast, it is probably a repo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 09:17 am:

OK thanks. I guess either one will do. I'll see how it goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, December 23, 2013 - 01:13 pm:

I have a moto meter on all my cars, black and brass. They draw people to the car, generate questions, and it's kind of nice to have a fair idea of what's going on under the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, December 23, 2013 - 07:21 pm:

No doubt but, I'm trying to keep my car original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 12:14 am:

Beginning in 1916, radiator caps were nickel plated. Chrome was not used on Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 05:30 pm:

Fellows,I have seen two distinct types of the pressed radiator caps. The earlier ones, usually not plated, have lower, more rounded 'ears'. Later nickel caps have taller ears. I have no idea when the change was made, nor a reason for the change, other than it might be seen to be easier to hold the later type when screwing it off>

Just for interest.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration