Fat man steering wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Fat man steering wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Andersen on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 11:29 am:

What are the names of the makers of fat man steering wheels? Were any made with brass spokes/mechanisms?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 11:48 am:

Bill, check this past thread out.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/346141.html

Most were nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 11:50 am:

Bill I believe that you just mounted your steering wheel to a bracket like this, but I could be wrong
http://www.modeltford.com/item/3503TW.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 12:50 pm:

That is right you mount your steering wheel On to that bracket, we are right now making the Neville sliding fat man wheel and they will come in brass or chrome,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 12:57 pm:

Robert, Wouldn't nickel plate be more period correct rather then flashy chrome?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 02:06 pm:

Yes but that could be a special order, most dont want to polish,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 04:12 pm:

Bob, as nickel is correct for a T, and it should be part of a good chrome job, perhaps you could stop the plating there and charge the lazy 'don't want to polish' people extra for the chrome finish.

Nickel over brass in the interior of the car will hardly ever need polishing anyway.

Just a thought.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 04:17 pm:

I have a Fox locking Fat Man wheel on my '26 Touring. I've had it on for years and am completely happy with it.

As some of you on the forum that know me personally, that "Fat Man" wheel lives up to it's name every time I get behind it! :^)

The price was right too. It was given to me by a friend of mine. All I had to do was have a key made for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 27, 2013 - 03:11 pm:

Someone has about five of them on eBad right now. The common makes listed there are Lokwell, Spencer, and Tiltlok (about five days to go if someone that can wants to snag pictures). Bauer is another common one (I have one of these on my coupe).
Most of them, were aluminum spiders (spokes) with wood rims. A few had rubber or composite rims. Most of them had a cast iron hub hinged to the spider.
My '16 center-door years ago had an early cast iron spider fatman wheel. I see the similar reproduction brass spider ones for sale occasionally. But otherwise, I haven't seen more than a couple original brass spider fatman wheels in all my years of looking at them.
There are several other fairly common ones that I see fairly often either for sale or on cars. I currently have a few incomplete wheels/spiders that are marginally restorable. I think I can make a good hub with my limited resources.
They are a fairly common, yet desirable (and usually expensive), era accessory.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, December 27, 2013 - 06:31 pm:

These were all sold one by one on ebay a few years ago. What a motherlode.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, December 27, 2013 - 08:59 pm:

Heres my Fox fatman wheelfatmanfatman 1fatman 2fatman 3fatman 4

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration