Old Photo - Loading Wheat Into A Wooden Boxcar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Old Photo - Loading Wheat Into A Wooden Boxcar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 09:49 am:

Two different trucks same rail siding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 09:58 am:

Sure beats scooping it in!
High tech.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:01 am:

Jay you should ad this photo to this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/411335.html?1388407971

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:01 am:

That is Gary Yeager's grandfather hauling wheat near Lewistown, Montana. Gary lives here in Helena, has written several articles for Farm Collector about farming in Montana and owns several Model T's and steam tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:24 am:

Notice there is no grafitti on the boxcar!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:46 am:

Larry,

That's 'cause paint was not available in spray cans yet! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:15 pm:

Is the tire missing from the left rear in the first picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:16 pm:

When do you suppose they lost the left rear tire? It looks like it is sitting in the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:21 pm:

There is also something funky going on with the left front in the first photo. Looks like they have rope wound around something outboard of the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:51 pm:

It looks like both front tires have it and was probably done to aid in steering traction. It looks like they went through quite a bit of snow by the looks of the front wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:53 pm:

Hal - Pretty sure that's snow in that wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:54 pm:

Oops1 Sorry Dave,....you beat me on the snow thing....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:55 pm:

OK. That makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 01:32 pm:

Neat pictures. I like the cutoff touring body on the TT chassis in the 2nd picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 01:55 pm:

It looks like there is a spike type tire or wheel on the left rear Pic 2 for traction in the mud and snow.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 02:10 pm:

looks like a vacume fuel pump in the door of the touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 07:41 pm:

Harold, you should know right where this is, you worked for the Milwaukee. It is IIRC east of Moore. They used to have quite a few of these sidings along a bank like this, they would pull in a couple cars and you could load them from the bank, which is what Yaegers are doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 08:58 pm:

OK Stan, you're the expert on stuff like this.
How did they know how much wheat was on the truck? I'm assuming there was an elevator close. Right?
Also, I can imagine there was a lot of shoveling to get the front and back of the cars full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 09:09 pm:

OK Stan, you're the expert on stuff like this.
How did they know how much wheat was on the truck? I'm assuming there was an elevator close. Right?
Also, I can imagine there was a lot of shoveling to get the front and back of the cars full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 09:10 pm:

Opps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 09:54 pm:

I would guess there was another guy inside the car. This wheat was probably being shipped to Great Falls to Gold Metal Flour or Great Falls Milling. You shipped a car load, they measured it when they unloaded it and sent you a check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:14 pm:

It looks like the wheel in the first picture with the wood spikes fit into the spacing in the deck beams. That way the truck would not slide off the deck. Cool idea. Scott ps do I see a water pump on the second truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:20 pm:

I was wondering if that tank on the second truck is a hydraulic fluid reservoir with hand pump to lift the bed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration