GEMSA Performance Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: GEMSA Performance Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 12:35 am:

Completely restored Joe GEMSA high performance engine (Serial number 11) custom built by Joe for the legendary Doc Pruden of Long Beach Signal Hill fame. This engine was actually used by Doc to win first place in 1969. Soon after winning this race, the engine placed in storage. It remained in storage for over forty years.

In April, this engine became available for purchase. Upon acquiring the engine, it was completely restored from top to bottom. It is now ready to be enjoyed once again. Here are but a few of the features of this amazing engine: Oil pressurized system (rods and mains) with Model B crankshaft and rods balanced along with the completely rebuilt transmission. Modified high performance Model A camshaft, aluminum timing gear and heavy duty lifters. GEMSA high performance overhead valve cylinder head with four 2 inch intake ports and four 2 inch exhaust ports. Quad intake manifold with dual Stromberg 97 carburetors professionally rebuilt by Mr. Stromberg. Ignition is provided by a period correct Delco Remy dual spark distributor mounted on a Bosch front plate. Other features include a 12V charging system, demountable Kevlar lined bands, special raised high compression pistons (9:1 compression ratio), custom high volume exhaust manifold, highly polished aluminum valve cover, block off plates, transmission cover and oil sump.

Add this exceptional performance engine to your collection or drop it in your favorite speedster and go faster than you will probably ever what to go in your model T.

Asking $15,000. Offers welcome. Mark Chaffin (951) 757-8587 or (951) 226-8586 (Leave message).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 09:58 am:

Mark, I am in awe at the beautiful engine and the history. Let me ask some "tire kicker questions". So you suggested in addition to adding this to ones collection, to install it in your speedster and go fast.

Just what would that be like? Have you or others had this experience that can be shared with us dreamers. Would the acceleration be neck snapping-- how fast is fast---other observations? Thanks. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:29 am:

As it sits now, about as fast as you can push the engine stand across the floor. While I have only had the opportunity to experience the garden variety overhead, I have never experienced anything of this caliber. I'm sure it will go faster than I would ever want to go in a model T. Maybe others have and can comment on this engines potential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

Made for the Signal Hill Climb I betting it didn't see a very fast top speed. That hill was pretty short but really steep. It certainly should move a T scary fast though. Back in the day I drove my Torpedo up it a couple of times.

Unfortunately that hill has totally change with lots of new homes.

Mark, was this engine one of Frank Harris and Humble Howard's engines?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 01:35 am:

Gene,

This engine came from a collector in Azusa who's father acquired it from the late Robert "Doc" Pruden collection in the early 70's. It sat undisturbed there for over 40 years.

On teardown, the engine showed very low mileage. The transmission was another story and had to be completely rebuilt with new drums, triple gears, etc.

There is a picture (1968 MTFCA) of the engine in a touring car driven by "Doc" during the 1968 Shell hill climb event. I believe he won first place in his class during this event. The intake side of the head states "Custom built for Robert "Doc" Pruden" and "Experimental head #011 Joe Gemsa".

The engine was kept as Joe built it. Nothing was changed to improve upon the original design. Truly a great piece of 60's racing history.

Unrestored GEMSA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 01:16 am:

bump

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration