FOR SALE: REAR AXLES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: FOR SALE: REAR AXLES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

Rear Axle: $85.00. Will have good key slot and good threads. Wouldn't you really rather have an original that you can trust to have good steel. Please include $17.35 shipping.

axles

Dave Huson
2116 Charro Ave. Longmont, Co. 80504
Email: modelt1912@msn.com
Phone: 303-774-9246

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:26 pm:

Rear Axles

rear axles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 03:10 pm:

Dave does the new axles have bad steel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 04:10 pm:

I am not Dave but I might be able to shed some light. Back about 3 or 4 years ago, some of the axles were soft and wore out quickly. If memory serves, they were axles machined the whole length. From what the vendors are telling me, the problem has been solved for some time and all the later made axles are of good quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

A I remember, and that's far from infallible, the failures occurred around the time of the 2008 Meet in Richmond. That would be about 6 years ago, so I would guess the more reputable vendors no longer have the axles mode of inferior steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

My take on the "Axle Failures" that I saw is that the housings were not correctly straightened and the bend in them was putting too much pressure on one end of the Hyatt bearing; wearing the axle. I didn't see them all but that was my analysis of the ones I did see. They may have been a little softer than the originals but I don't think there was enough of a difference to cause a problem with good straight housings and good, well lubricated bearings.

No one will ever convince me that straightening housings so the end is not swinging an arc is making sure they are straight. The tube sleeves must be in alignment. I could write a short book on how it needs to be done but have work in the shop that needs to be done worse.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration