FOR SALE; FOUR; 30 X 4 DEMOUNTABLE RIMS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: FOR SALE; FOUR; 30 X 4 DEMOUNTABLE RIMS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

demountable 30 INCH RIMS: $35.00 EACH. Please walk in only. I believe these were Overland rims. They can fit a 30 X 3 1/2 model T wheel but three of them will need a new valve stem hole bored. I have tried them on a model T wheel and they fit. If wanted these rims could be used until 30 x 3 1/2 rims are found or used permanently . They are excellent rims with no sharp edges and no rust out. 30 x 3 1/2 tires will fit the rims fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

I forgot the address and phone number, they are:

Dave Huson 2116 Charro Ave. Longmont, Co. 80504
Phone 303-774-9246

Rims:

4 rims

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Rims still for sale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Dave, PM me if you change your mind on shipping I'll take them. Of course I'll pay for the shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:17 am:

RVB; These are petty nice rims. I picked them out of about 30 rims that a walk in brought to the shop one day. I will see if I can get a couple of boxes to fit them. I usually don't like to ship rims but I will if I can find the right boxes. I will let you know what I find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:54 am:

Dave, I use boxes from the local radiator shop to ship felloes to New Zealand for re-spoking. They are glad to be rid of them.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Allan I also use radiator boxes to ship large items. But I have to beat the garbage man to the garbage can.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Dave,

Hide the garbage can or run like heck.! and beat the garbage man... I'm still interested and waiting to her back..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:09 am:

RVB I am up to my neck in the shop working on others Ts but I will see what I can get done. At my age you would think I would learn to say NO!
I used to have coffee in the mornings on the way to the post office with a 80 year old mechanic. He said the same thing, he had to learn to say NO.
But it is hard to say NO to a new person. One of the worst thing is that you don't get to work on your own cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

I still have these real nice rims. I wish people could see how nice these rims are. they would sell right away.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:10 am:

I was going through my rims yesterday and found that I now have about 10 each of the 30" by 4" rims ALL are very good rims.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:48 am:

These are actually 23" rims for 32x4+1/2 tires, used on Chevrolet, Overland, and Star. A 30x3+1/2 tire does fit on them just fine (and correctly) and they do mount up just fine on a T wheel except that the valve stem hole is in a different place, so you either have to re-locate the hole in the rim, or drill a new hole in your wheel felloe. I've used these style rims several times and they work just fine. (Plus, you could also put 32x4+1/2 tires on your T if you wanted to)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Adam, Just out of curiosity, what does the 32x41/2 tires cost compared to the 30x31/2 tires

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Firestone "Non-Skid", black tires:
$264 in a 30x3+1/2, or $345 in a 32x4+1/2

So, about $80 more. The bigger tires might have a slightly bigger footprint on the road and a little different look.

The 30x3+1/2 is 30" tall, the 32x4+1/2 is 33+1/4" tall.

The bigger tires on your rims would be the hot setup for a speedster. If you do the math, the circumference is 10+1/4" bigger (104.45" versus 94.25") so they would buy you a little more than 10% more distance traveled for the same r.p.m. and that sort of thing can make a big difference on a T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Adam, regarding the fit of these rims on T wheels, I have found that they are about 1/4 to 3/8" wider than T rims. When bolted up to a T wheel, the rim binds on the inside rolled edge of the felloe, as it should, but the outside of the rim is left with the lugs standing well off the outside. In effect, the rims are spaced outwards by their extra width. This may or may not be a problem. Otherwise they do bolt up as you indicate.

We use a set of these with 4.40 x 23" tyres on my son's 10 cwt lorry. They add to the more substantial appearance of the truck.

What intrigues me is the amount of these rims which turn up in far better condition than comparable T rims.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

If I understand correctly it sounds like good tires for the Montana 500. It seems like you could run around some one with smaller tires with the motors doing the same RPM. I also wonder that in the Denver Drag Races if maybe they would be slower to start but end up faster at the end. In other wards I wonder if it would take less power to move a 30 x 3 1/2 tire at the start.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 01:43 am:

I still have some of the 30 X 4 nice rims.

picture

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration