For Sale: Early Heinze Coilbox

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: For Sale: Early Heinze Coilbox
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

For Sale: Early Heinze coilbox in good original condition. The wood is solid and joints tight. All original brass hardware is present. The key can be removed and the switch handle moves freely. It is missing one out of the four metal-topped coils. Note that the coils have two asymmetrical brass pins that extend through the bottom of the box into electrical contacts. There are 6 small holes in the lid where a homemade sheetmetal cover was fastened to keep it dry from the rain.

I have been told that this was not used on Fords, but have not been able to positively identify other applications. Hoping someone out there needs it to complete their restoration or original car.

$550 or best offer, plus actual shipping costs. Or can hand deliver to Hershey for pickup at my space.

Please contact me via email shown below or PM. More pictures available upon request.

(Message edited by Dan B on September 21, 2016)

(Message edited by Dan B on September 21, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Sold pending payment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Looks like the Heinze used on the 1909 Hudson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

This coilbox is still for sale, as the buyer has reconsidered.

I have added pictures of the back and bottom.

Thanks,
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Back to the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

R.V.,

My friend's '09 Hudson used a very similar box but used the style of coils that were keyed together. "M" & "F" marked on the coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Yup; that was Heinze's patented mortise and tenon design, claimed to help with coils bouncing around and losing contact in the box. The earliest Heinze used on the T ( early calendar 1911) had them. "M" was for "male" (the tenon) and "F" for female (the mortise).

After eliminating the mortise and tenon, the coils retained the thick side but the stencils changed to "L" and "R", and then finally "Y" and "Z" before the coils changed to the somewhat simpler 1912 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:27 am:

SOLD. Thanks MTFCA!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration