Wanted? Model T Radiator Cap with Military/Patriotic Theme

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted? Model T Radiator Cap with Military/Patriotic Theme
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Restorcreating a 1915 WWI Light Patrol Vehicle and the entire car will be OD green with a wooden Light express open body and bench seat. I'll leave the brass radiator brass for looks, although the military would have painted it or at least stopped polishing it.
I've got the standard radiator cap, but was thinking something along the lines of a winged eagle, lady liberty or something like that. I've seen a few examples on auction sites, but I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for this, just something different.

If you have something or think of something that would work, PM me, let me know what you got and what you want.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Go to your local trophy shop.

Otherwise, a small brass eagle flag pole topper/finial may do the trick.

"topper"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xeagle+flag+pole+topper.TRS0&_nkw=eagle+flag+pole+topper&_sacat=0

"finial"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xeagle+finial.TRS0&_nkw=eagle+finial&_sacat=0

I believe the eagle mascot on the radiator cap of my friend's 1911 Luverne is actually a flagpole topper/finial. The flat eagle on the radiator fins is a recent addition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:24 am:

I have to agree with Erik that finding an original mascot or ornament is going to be expensive but something modern that can be made to look the part is a good way to go.

The original ones are highly collectible and command good prices when you have the opportunity to buy them. Of course, I think it would be humorous if you could find and use an "America First" ornament (WW1 isolationist movement)

Good luck with your search

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

You might check with a trophy shop .MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

The flagpole topper is a great idea. I've been around enough boy scout events to see them jammed up into the ceiling tiles during flag presentations to have thought of them.
And, the trophy shops would certainly have the bright shiney brass mascots.
Two great avenues to explore. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Most of the so-called "originals" for sale on eBad ARE just flagpole or trophy toppers.
It takes a real expert to tell them apart usually. I am NOT such an expert on those. But have talked to people that were. A lot of fifty year old toppers (worth maybe $10, if even that) have been bolted onto old radiator caps and sold for big bucks.
If you can find one that looks good for a cheap price? Go for it! I see them on antique cars quite often. If they look good. I like them fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

If you simply search brass eagle on eBay, you will get thousands of choices beyond flagpole finials:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=brass+eagle&_sa cat=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

How about something like this? The paperweights that are solid brass are $6 on the internet and have a nice patina.

statue of liberty paperweight for radiator mascot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 06:11 am:

I think the Lady Liberty might look good. One concern I would have with it, however, is its weight. That much weight attached to the radiator neck could result in the neck breaking loose from the radiator from all the engine vibration and bumps in the road. It is problem experienced with heavier regular caps with larger Motometers or other decorations. It even happens to cars much heavier built than Fords were. And if the Lady is about six inches tall (based upon the quarter) and truly is solid brass? It could be a bit heavy, with a fair bit of leverage against the radiator.
It is all something you should be able to deal with. Keep an eye on the neck, watch for signs of rusty and/or coolant leaks which would indicate a crack forming. If the neck does crack, or break clear off, it is usually not a difficult repair. A heavy piece of brass could put a small dent in a fender or hood if it hit it on the way down, however.
So many possibilities to consider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

A forum member sent me an aluminum flag pole topper and this is what I came up with. Won't pass muster with the T Police, but close enough for government work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 11:23 am:

I have this WWI vintage patriotic cap with MotoMeter. Original nickel plating. Just screw it on and go. $250.
e-mail to: CharvetClassics@aol.com
Thanks -
David Charvet
www.CharvetClassicCars.com

cap1
cap2
cap3
cap4

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration