Opinion on best model t timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Opinion on best model t timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike kolsrud on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Just wondering what timer you experts think is the best. sometimes experience in a certain situation is priceless knowledge .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

I'm no expert, but I've read a lot of experiences from knowledgeable and experienced folks over the years. You can't go wrong with a good original Ford timer if it's serviced (= cleaned and oiled) often, but they aren't made anymore. You may find a good one that is possible to refurbish for more miles, but nowadays there are many other good alternatives if you can't find one;

First you should check the engine where the cam shaft comes out of the timing cover - if you have the old brass shield and a felt packing, you may consider change to a modern seal - less risk for a worn out or misfitting brass shield causing misfire. https://www.modeltford.com/item/3177OS.aspx

In the order they comes to mind, not necessary in order of preference (I use a high tension magneto on my T :-) )

1. The TW timer has a carbon brush that doesn't wear out its housing as fast and works very nice - until the brush wears away. No need for oiling, just keep a new brush ready for when it wears out. http://www.twcomponents.com/

2. The new New Day brush timer. New Day has been a favorite timer for many since the 20's - but their reputation got tarnished by bad repros made of soft plastic. Now a new company, Tip Top Timers in Spokane, Wa makes better repros, should give good service: http://www.tiptoptimers.com/

3. Tip Top Timers also makes the Anderson flapper style timer that has been a favorite with some - some has luck with it and use them for years without any need for service, but others prefer giving them some grease from time to time. May need adjustment to keep giving consistent ignition timing from cylinder to cylinder as it wears. http://www.tiptoptimers.com/

4. The E-timer is controversial in the hobby since it modernizes the ignition electronically. Expensive and not currently in production, but may get another production run if there is demand. Should give very good service - Dean Yoder who is the man on earth who drives his T's the longest gives it high praises. http://modeltetimer.com/E-Timer.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

Tw or a crystal timer are my favorites

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

TW is my timer of choice after wearing out a bunch of Andersons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

TW, As long as your camshaft seal doesn't leak. The carbon brush does not like oil. I run the TW in my car but every so often I have to take it apart and clean it because my seal seeps just a whisper of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Roger:

Thanks for your summary on timers.

My choice is the E-Timer.

Although the current stock has sold out, new production is in the works & will be available soon. This may be the 4th production run since the E-Timer became available to the T hobby.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Bob, I got onto Mikes list to get one. I'd love to try yours sometime this winter. Maybe we can pull that off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 10:48 am:

I tried the Etimer and would not be without it. One can really see the difference in pulling power. A sound investment, plus you can use coil boxes that no one else wants to run...that is, no points needed and the condition of the wood is not a big factor as long as the contacts seat properly with good windings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

New Days forever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

I don't intend to bash a product, but my NEW New-Day completely wore out in about 800 miles. I have since changed to a TW with no problems, but only have about 300 miles on it so far.

Old New-Days are my favorite, but my last good one went with my TT when I sold it.

I also have an E-timer, but went back to a conventional timer when I had my engine rebuilt and magneto fixed. I liked that as well, but it's on Dad's car right now instead of mine. We put it on to help diagnose a problem (didn't help, but we eliminated timer/coils as the source) and have just left it on since as the adjustability in the timing helps with a different problem (vibration in the engine at 42mph that sounds like pre-ignition)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Derek - just to be clear, was your NEW New-Day of Tip-Top Timers very recent production or from Snyder's 1990's(?) failed manufacture?
If it's the latest ones, Tip Top timers needs to know about the problem to possibly improve the plastic material?

Vibration at certain speeds is common on Model T's, best to avoid that speed if at all possible for better crankshaft life. Balancing helps, but not totally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Derek. I ran a TW timer, with the round, pencil sized brush on the Auburn Tour. That one wore down quite a bit in those 5 or 600 miles. I've got the one that is more rectangular now and it's wearing great. Real nice product!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

My first choice is any of the brush type then roller.
The only issues with using ORIGINAL New Day not the "S" type is, they do get worn out esp after cleaning them up a few times. The contact in the housing is only so thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

I haven't driven as far as Dean (yet), but so far I've had good luck with original New Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I also run a New Day (original style) and am very satisfied. I tried a new TW timer but after a few hundred miles I took it off to check for wear and oil and found the brush worn about half way. Re-installing the timer using a worn brush is a very difficult job as the brush is too short to just push in enough to fit in the holding wire into the side of the brush,so extra tools and hands are required and this is sure not something I would be comfortable with doing on the side of the road. I switched back to the New Day and will keep the TW for a spare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

New Days have been around for a LOOOOOONG time. You cant go wrong for simplicity and something that works. This is one of those things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

I've always favored Anderson (Anco) timers. I had Frank Fenton rebuild a bunch of originals for me. He even put the Anderson style contacts in my original aluminum case for my '14. It's been running without complaints for nearly a decade now.

Frank' sold the business, but I hear the new owner is also a good guy. Next time I need a timer, I'll get an Anderson from out west.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 07:01 am:

I just had an ANCO rebuilt by Tip Top Timers and replaced my original New Day with it. I like the Anderson better. Hutch at Tip Top did a really nice job and turn around was fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 09:30 am:

The best timers are original Ford roller timers. I quit buying any more when I got to the point where I had two shoe boxes full of them. Typically $1.00 to as much as $10.00 for an NOS one at Chickasha a few years ago. Original New Day timers are also often found very cheap.

As far as the timers available new today, the Ones sold by TW are excellent and reasonably priced. I am running a New Day made by Tom Carnegie on my 1910, it also has given good performance but I have only run it a couple hundred miles so far.

I would avoid any ignition system that requires a battery. They are cost prohibitive and not as reliable as the original Ford system since they depend on a charging system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Dave Young..... happy you're on the list for the new run of E-Timers....
As far as mine, you'll have to pry it out of my dead cold grip......LOL !!!! But you're always welcome to drive our '26 E-Timer Runabout

BobJ.

See ya soon ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Dave Young..... happy you're on the list for the new run of E-Timers....
As far as mine, you'll have to pry it out of my dead cold grip......LOL !!!! But you're always welcome to drive our '26 E-Timer Runabout

BobJ.

See ya soon ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:30 am:

sorry for the double post.... no harm intended

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I'll bring my coils up to your place sometime and you take me for a ride. Did you see my Montana tour post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Mike, please be aware the information you receive here, unfortunately, is sometimes skewed by personal bias or agenda. Most regular readers know who those contributors are and learn to ignore them but new folks can be mislead by their misinformation.

For example, the E-Timer electronic ignition only operates on battery power. Properly installed and operated it has NEVER failed in the last 5 years that it has been available. This includes several documented multi-thousand mile trips; the longest over 8,100 miles traveled by Jack White and his Wife Mae in their 1913 Touring back in 2013. The cost of it is on par with distributor conversions.

The same can not be said of the original Ford system over the same time frame. There have been several cases reported here over the same time period of the magneto failing or being accidently discharged rendering it unable to properly operate the ignition system. The cost to repair an original failed magneto can indeed be cost prohibitive; requiring many hours of labor and many hundred dollars of parts. The cost of a properly rebuilt magneto coil alone is nearly the cost of a maintenance free E-Timer!

Implications that the battery operated E-Timer ignition is not as reliable as the original Ford ignition system is completely baseless and patently false.

Disclosure: I designed and market the E-Timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Dave:

Have to wait until I reline the trans bands, wore out the low band on a 150 mile trip on Sunday. Getting liners from Jim Guinn, so maybe next week I'll trek to your part of the woods with the HCCT driving the '26 Runabout so you could experience the E-Timer.

Bob J.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration