WTB ... oxy/acetylene touch set

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB ... oxy/acetylene touch set
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Looking to do some brazing to fabricate some parts. Because of what they are.... should be within driving distance of Metro Detroit. I'm up in the air about tank rent/swap , or own, given the relatively light use the set will get...

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Buy a torch set from Harbor Freight. I have used mine for years with no issues. Check Craigs list also. Some times you can buy the whole setup, tanks and all. I bought my tanks. For the amount I use them went for a med size on both tanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in S.C. on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Around here you have to buy bottles from National Welders or other supplier or you cannot get bottles filled.They check when you go to refill.
Here in S.C. we just go and drop off an empty and pick up a full when refill is needed.
No supplier will fill bottles they did not sell you.
Anyway,just wanted you to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Kind of along the lines of: No matter how large you build your shop, you WILL
sooner or later discover it is not large enough !

When you discover all the uses for a gas wrench, you'll use it more than you think !

I bought mine 40 years ago to cut up old cars and for welding cast iron. I use
it all the time for fabrication work, heating rusted together parts, and repairing
cast iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

I don't know how prices are in the USA for bottle rent and refill, but are not cheap here in Australia, so for the amount of use I do these days, brazing, silver soldering, heating and cutting, all I use is oxy and the BBQ gas bottle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 03:36 am:

Must be careful buying tanks second hand. Many people think the tanks they have? They own. Rules actually vary quite a bit in different areas, different companies, and different states. Always check with your local gas suppliers. I have known of several people that bought tanks used (they thought) and found out when they went to refill them that they were rented tanks with years of fees due. I inherited my dad's tanks which he had bought the year I was born. The torch set I still use was his a few years earlier than that. I did have to work out an exchange when I moved to Grass Valley over ten years ago. The local supplier worked it out with me when I went in and asked them about it. They did have to verify my tank's status.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 07:31 am:

yeah ... I purchased a used set about 30 years ago, and found out the hard way about the tanks .... they had to be re-inspected, and was somewhat cost prohibitive, so I just rented tanks. That wasn't cheap either, but turned the tanks back in and gave the torch and valves to a friend's high school kid that was getting heavy into welding in school.

Lots of places to buy new .. a very friendly local supplier has a set. .. but even the baby tank set, by the time you get filled up, etc is a little north of $400. I guess, if I end up getting a set and have to purchase tanks anyway .. I'll probably end up around that mark in the long run ...

Several around in CL (thanks .. I had forgotten to check there!) ... will see one set tonight after work. They only assume their dad owned the tanks .. don't know inspection dates, so will go scope them out.

If I bought just the head and torches, I'd probably get on 18" gas tank, and a 22 or 27 for oxy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 06:55 am:

Found one on CL ... $175 with at least 1/2 full tanks (don't believe they were owned .... will find out when I go to swap them out), Victor cutting head, 2 welding and 1 heating tips, two handle/bases (1 Victor, one Harris) Victor gauges, cart, and some contraption that appears to be a mountable dual shut-off valve. I feel like I got quite a deal! Thanks for all!

I want to fabricate a step/bracket for the pack of the pick'em-up, and side supports for the bed, and whatever else I can think of! I might even be able to get the crank handle to spin again! (but THAT's pretty doubtful!)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration