What Type Wheels Would YOU use?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: What Type Wheels Would YOU use?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I believe I'll finish out my project as a '12 Mother-In-Law Roadster with Removable back seat and a pickup bed to go in it's place.

Brass lights, '12 windshield, carbide generator, etc., all essentially '12, except wheels.

This car will have a recently finished engine. It's stock with a 280 camshaft.

It'll be driven around town, and sometimes taken out on trips to see customers and give them rides.

I have a dilemna, and need to make a decision on wheels.

I don't particularly want to have two sets of different style wheels (wire vs. wood); I want to settle on one, and live with it.

However, I am not sure where the intersection of appearance and function applies to me and this car.

I want to avoid a prolonged issue of changing a tire on a wooden wheel while a customer is with me. Wire wheels change quickly and easily.

Yet, the appearance of a brass era roadster with wire wheels, other than the Hayes, Buffalo, etc., seems out-of-place (at least to me). Yet, I am told that '26 - '27 wire wheels on a '26 '27 front axle with '26 '27 front hubs ride very well, and are usually somewhat more comfortable than using 55 60 psi 30 x 3 / 30 x 3-1/2.

Yet, I want to have the '12 correct Stewart speedometer, and I have no idea how to install a gear onto a wire wheel that will properly operate the speedometer.

If anyone has any pictures of a brass era roadster running '26 '27 wire wheels, please send to me.

If anyone has any pictures of a brass era roadster running 30 x 3 / 30 x 3-1/2 demountable rims, please send to me.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

I am restoring a 1911 Torpedo roadster And I am using a reproduction set of 30x3-1/2 aftermarket wire wheels . They are machined to a perfect fit on any Ford Model T wood wheel hub .There are two styles of hubs made from mid 1916 to 1927 that were used with some speedometer set ups .I am using a Stewart road gear 60t/8p part # 8685 .Maybe Royce Peterson will see this He has a set up like this on one of his cars . He sent me a picture to show me how to do this . My wheels are the ones in the Langs catalog .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration