BEWARE OF SCAMMERS USING OUR CLASSIFIEDS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: BEWARE OF SCAMMERS USING OUR CLASSIFIEDS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan F. Stein on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

I recently learned a good lesson. I posted a want ad for a part and received a response from a person in Beaufort, South Carolina. He sent a picture of the item and requested a MoneyGram of which I sent. Fortunately the transfer was held up by MoneyGram. I Contacted MoneyGram, they confirmed that the area was known for recent fraudulent activity so they refunded me the total amount of the transfer. The individual then requested I send money via Western Union. Called Western Union and they confirmed the same. The story was the same when I was contacted by the Beaufort Police Department. He then suggested to send money through PayPal but he would not send an invoice which would trigger the PayPal guarantee. I then terminated the transaction. So was I a target of a scam, I can't say. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck! Obviously not everyone is as honest as all the old car people I have dealt with over the years. By the way he was not a member of MTFCA. JUST SAY'N JUST BEWARE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

NEVER send money by any of the ways they asked. You do not have to be a member of the T club to use the classifieds. Anyone can read the ad's but you have to signup to post and reply through the system.

DO NOT PUT YOUR EMAIL OR PHONE NUMBER IN THE AD.

OR do as some and write it out and take a photo of is as a couple of sellers do. Also check how many posting they have if they reply thru the system. While yes they could be new member's and are ok they could also be scammers looking for a fast buck before they get caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Van Maanen on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Mark: how about just MTFCA members using the site. After all if you are to cheap to put up the membership dues you are not into the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:00 am:

How about it stay the way it is. I am not a member of MTFCA. I belong to MTFCI because those are the regional clubs that are near me. I'm also a member of HCCA. You can only belong to so many clubs. At some point, you have to draw the line. I've drawn it. For me (and others like me) to suddenly be stopped from using the classifieds when we've been using it for years in good standing, would do nothing but PO a lot of people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:06 am:

The lesson here is never wire money to strangers.

Both Western Union and MoneyGram advise to never wire funds to strangers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:49 am:

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON that anyone you EVER buy T parts from would need a "MoneyGram" or "Western Union" payment, or bank/wire transfer for ANY REASON. 9,999 times out of 10,000 IT IS A SCAM...

People willing to take a personal check are usually on the level... To cash a personal check, the payee has to have a checking account, or if taking to a check-cashing-place, has to provide I.D. and sometimes even a finger print.

Also, remember that any payment that is delivered thru the U.S. Postal service, if found to be fraudulent, is a FEDERAL offense, and the penalties are MUCH HIGHER.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andrew o sullivan on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

hi there I put an add up for parts and I got guy looking for my number so he could phone me and chat to me about the item i was looking for,,,, he said that to send the moneys true paypal family and friend ,,,, but the money is not insured that way ... he said he was in CA but the ,,,,clown,,,,, did not no that I have an iPhone and it will tell me what state he is ringing from he was not ringing me from CA IT CAME UP AS A STATE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE US ... he gave me a name of a shop . but I looked UP BUT THE NAME OF THE SHOP WAS lies,,,,I asked him if I could send a mate to call and look at the parts and by them there and then in cash ,, he lashed out and then he got a bit up set . DO NOT SEND MONEYS MAKE SURE YOU LINE YOUR DUCKS IN A ROW ,,,DO THE BACK ROUND CHECKS .........THE GUYS NAME WAS DAIVD CABOET LOOK OUT ..... HE MUST HAVE THOUGHT THAT HE HAD A FOOL IN Ireland that would send him moneys ... I Ireland we say ,,,,I did not come up the river lee on a mountain bike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

Don't do business with anyone who does not have a user profile.

Check their profile - see when they joined - see if they list an MTFCA membership number.

If they have been a member for awhile - ask for their phone number - talk to them on the phone.

With the exception of international folks - I never do business with someone that will not talk on the phone.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

If you are worried that someone is scaming, ask here for a member close by to act as your intermediary. Get the parts in hand then pass the cash.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:47 am:

Do NOT deal with anyone who will not post their full name, so you can do a Google search of them, also get their physical address.Check Google Earth to make sure it is not a vacant lot.
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works
Wakeman, Ohio

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration