Late front spring Shackles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Late front spring Shackles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 07:15 am:

No wear or NOS I have some clips to go with them $50.00 includes shippingPic1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 10:38 am:

The one on the left looks pitted. The one on the right looks like it has a pretty good "sway" to it that looks like wear.

If these have a Ford Script on them, have no pitting, and have no wear, I will take them. Let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Adam, you and I think alike, but if the pits aren't too bad they will hold more oil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 06:30 am:

The pits are very light could be a shadow on picture I don't feel any wear. Non script. $40.00 now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Sold Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Larry, I know you are being funny, but many of the people that read the classifieds and forum might believe that... I've even heard "experienced" machinists say that (usually to adios some substandard work out the door)!

If a journal of any sort is pitted, the percentage of pits (even if only a couple thousandths deep) equal that percentage, or more, of a reduction in bearing surface. Pits also prevent an adequate oil film from forming, which means metal to metal contact. (Maybe not a huge factor on shackles, but it does come "into play")

Pitted shackles would be just fine on a show car that sees 50-100 miles a year... They could provide adequate service for a decade or longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

No need to continue this thread SOLD and shipped
Thanks
Tom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration