4 sale: Small Rockford Milling Machine (No.2 Rockford Hand Miller w/overhanging arm) - $200

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 4 sale: Small Rockford Milling Machine (No.2 Rockford Hand Miller w/overhanging arm) - $200
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

I'm listing this here because it dates from 1912-1926 and would be correct for a Model T era machine shop or blacksmiths shop. Also, an ideal piece of machinery for machining the key-slots in starter and generator shafts, steering shafts, axle shafts, etc. if you had a bunch of them to do!

This is a neat little horizontal milling machine and should function well for basic work in your home shop, or an ideal piece for the antique tool collector or old blacksmith shop. Rockford Milling Machine Co existed from 1912 to 1926, so this piece would date to that time period. This mill has hand wheels (cranks) and precision scales on the X & Y axis. Z axis travel is made by the red lever and there are top and bottom stops which are ideal for production setups. X axis has a choice of hand crank on the left side, or the white lever (to be used in conjunction with stops you would install on the front of the table).

What this machine was actually used the most for: In a factory back in the day, this machine would mostly be used to machine key-ways and probably dovetails of various sorts. A woodruff key-way could be put in a shaft simply by raising the table, while a longer key-way could be made by raising the table with the red lever to advance the cutter into the workpiece and advancing the X axis of the table to the predetermined "stop" with the white lever. Of course; this machine is also capable of any other type of horizontal milling work that fits on its table.

This is a real good buy for a tool of this type and of this size. One strong person can lift it himself and two average people have no problem lifting and carrying it. Size and weight make it ideal for a basement shop. First $200 cash gets it. It would have to be picked up here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Adam:
cool little mill...would fit well in any antique tool display and is usable within it's design limits as it has been for many years ...i currently have a Rockford economy 18x60 lathe ...much newer 1960 model ...a good machine that was well built ...i hope someone puts this mill in a shop display ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Gene, Originally when I bought it, my intention was to leave it permanently set up just for boring and facing connecting rods, but I ran out of space in the garage. I've had it in storage about 5 years. I'm selling it for what I paid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Still for sale. Will take $175. Must be picked up here.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration