WTB: Rocky Mountain Brakes, possibly a rebuilt Ruxtell rear end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB: Rocky Mountain Brakes, possibly a rebuilt Ruxtell rear end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Here's what I got guys, 22' Touring super nice/solid car. Wifes favorite one to drive and I plan on pulling a Model "T" PU box tilt bed trailer with it. So it would be ideal to have a 2 speed Ruxtell and Rocky Mountain Brakes (WOOD SPOKE wheels). What would be a proper gear ratio for described car and it's need ??? Hopefully I can find something relatively close to home (north-east WI), shipping would be a killer (chapter 11) !!! Please send pics, condition and price, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

John, What would be the loaded weight of the trailer you plan to pull? It makes a lot of difference....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

The knock on Rockies is that they don't work in reverse, while AC brakes do. You may be better off with a set of Larry Sidmore's AC's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Or if you really want to stop with that load-both directions-wet or dry, you might look at discs from Texas T, now Birdhaven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 12:59 am:

Send me a pm. I have rebuilt rear end with Rockies. Robertaweitzel @gmail.com. Il be going to chickasha In March

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Hey Keith, maximum load maybe 500#, weight of trailer maybe 500#, total 1000#. I'm using a pair of 750# leaf springs. Probably the heaviest load would be my electric wheel chair and possibly some picnic stuff to include another couple in the car. I don't want to get too heavy because of the 20hp engine, possible hills and somewhat maintain a reasonable road speed. What would you suggest for a gear ratio ??? Has anyone pulled a small trailer before ???

I've got "Henryetta" up on solid blocking right now anticipating some changes. I'm going in for a operation this coming Monday and wanted to get the heavy bull work done now. I'm preparing the cars for my recovery time, something to do on all 4 of them in my shop area. Can't wait to grab a cup of coffee, out to the shop an "do my thing". I'm in my element/zone and hoping the recovery fly's by.

I've done a little research on the AC Brakes and the Disc Brakes that Steve & Frank mentioned. They sound like the ideal thing, but I have to consider the Benjamin's !!! If I could've only been "born rich instead a good look'n" !!!

Never thought about contacting Dave or Layden for their input. What gear ratio would work for my application ??? I'll shoot you a email Robert, if it works out maybe you could get the rear end to Chickasha and Ron Paetz could bring it close to home (he's done it before). Thank you guys, your time is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:03 am:

John; are you talking about actual RM brakes or are you using that term for set of outside brakes. I have see and heard a number of people using RM as a general term for outside brakes.
A set of Rocky Mtns might be the same or more then the AC's. Then you would also have to have or get the RM drums and add them to your 22 wheels. You might think about getting a 26-27 rear end/Ruckstell. Then you would have a better set of parking brakes plus, 26-27 Rocky's use the same drum as the parking brakes. You would still have to mount the 26-27 drums on your wheels. By time you add the larger RM drums to your wheels there is not much difference in the what you see from the outside.

Just a note; I have a steep slope at the end of my drive way. I have backed two cars with RM's down the slope, mine and a friends. The friends 23 touring with stock rear end and RM's did not want to stop, at all. My 21 with the large drum rear stops. Both sets of brakes are repo's of about the same vintage and both have one of my home made equalizers on them. Could just be the brake lining, don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Seems like all these updates have their draw backs, all I want is a "better braking system" factoring pulling the trailer. I've gotten some emails from "T" guys that had bad experiences with RM and AC brakes, they all suggested the "Disc Brakes". Seems like I just get deeper'n deeper ($$$) into what I thought would be an easy transition from a stock rear end & stock brakes. This is definitely NOT a inexpensive (cheap) hobby to be into, times (7) and counting !!! Well atleast the wife knows where I am day/night out in the shop working on my cars and BROKE !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but as I recall AC brakes were cable operated just like Rocky Mountain brakes. Too bad they are not made correctly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:13 am:

ac

ac1

ac2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Hi John, Mark said it right. To pull that much weight you definitely want a Ruckstell and extra brakes. The strongest, most dependable brakes are discs.

I sometimes tow a Model T type trailer of about 4' x 5'. It is often loaded with 2 or 3 coolers with ice and drinks, plus other stuff for a T club picnic. My tow T is a '26 Roadster Pickup with a standard 3.63 geared Ruckstell, Z head, and re-po Rocky Mountain brakes. The RM brakes are ok, nothing more. Discs would be better. On hills the power and performance sucks. I use the Ruckstell a lot.

It sounds like your trailer with the electric wheel chair is much heavier than mine. Besides the Ruckstell and discs, you would be wise to get a lower rear end gear ratio, like a 4 to 1 (40 tooth ring gear and 10 tooth pinion) as used in the sedans. At the Henry Ford Museum - Greenfield Village, they even use a 9 tooth pinion gear, which gives a 4.44 gear ratio.

I hope this helps, but if you'd like to talk it over, feel free to give me a call at 262-552-seven five seven six.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Want to add this; When I first put outside brakes on my T I had the correct small drum rear installed. I had gotten a set of original cable pull AC's with all the mounting bits. They worked great both directions. The only reason I took them off and installed the 26/27 rear end/RM's is because a friend and I did a swap. He needed the small drum AC"S for his runabout with the Ruckstell and I did not want him driving without outside brakes. When I installed the big drum ones on my car I made my own equalizer for the setup. Somewhat like this;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/402037.html?1384711491
The difference is mine just uses a flat plate mounted on top of the tab on the swinging frame instead of round rod and arms mounted under. (Thank you Jack D. for the idea)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Along with all this valuable information, I've decided to go with a 4-1 gear ratio (thanks Keith) on a completely rebuilt Ruxtell with disc brakes. Talked with Bill Kearndt (Kearndt Engineering)(older retired gentleman)and seems to know his stuff !!! He was very helpful and knowledgeable as to my needs, plus he lives in IA an that'll make a huge savings on shipping. Well you guys did it again, very gratefull for all the input, ideas, suggestions. I'm not a wealthy man but I sure want to be safe and firmly believe in "do it once an do it right the first time". Thanks to you all and MTFCA.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration