No flap. Forum good.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: No flap. Forum good.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

So one of my wheels had a slow leak. Thanks to this forum I left the wheel on, purchased 24 inch tire irons from Harbor freight and went at it. The tire came off after I figured out how to use the curves on the tire irons. No flap inside. The tube was patched 3 times and had a new leak nearby the other 3 patches. The previous owner never figured out after 3 patches that maybe something is wrong like no flap and it abrades against the edgy clincher area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Opinions vary on the utility of flaps. I choose to use them.

On my bicycles, I patch a tube twice. If it needs a third patch, it gets tossed for a new tube.

Fortunately, I haven't had to test this approach with my Model T (I have only had one flat, and the tube got chewed up, so I replaced it).

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Never have used tire flaps, other than to take them out and throw them away if I run into one. Never had a problem installing tires, and never had a flat caused by anything that a flap would have helped with. I regularly wear tires completely out and reuse the tubes. There are tubes in my '17 runabout that are 50 or more years old. No flaps ever.

Ford never installed a flap on any Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

I like um.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:05 am:

I us them on my model Ts and A s. No issues. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:56 am:

The only flat tire I've had while driving a Model T was on a car which I had recently bought. It had no flaps, and the tube pinched between the tire beads and failed. I've used flaps ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Royce -- If you want to throw flaps away, you can throw them my way; I'd be glad to have them. If you bring some to Chickasha I'll be glad to take them off your hands. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Flaps help but installing your tires and keeping then at the right pressure is key

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Rodell, Jr. on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

A flap protects the inner tube by preventing the tube from squeezing between the pair of tire beads after it is inflated. In the old days when the tires had cotton cords and were smooth along the bead edges, it probably wasn't as much of a problem not using flaps. The newly-manufactured tires I have used have a lot of mold marks and rough edges inside the tire beads. Hot weather and a lot of driving causes movement, which wears on the tube where it is squeezed between the beads. After a while, the rough edges wear on the tube, and it will leak. I learned this the hard way, and after I installed flaps, my problems disappeared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

If that were true I would not be able to keep re- using tubes when the tire wears completely out. Most of my driving is in extremely hot weather here in Texas.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration