1913 Upolstery Guidance Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 1913 Upolstery Guidance Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

I have a 1913 Touring. The upholstery is still original leather, for the most part, in great shape, and has horse hair stuffing… with the exception of the front seat cushion. I have used leather honey to soften the leather, but the front seat cushion is a mess. Apparently the cushion got wrecked over time, and someone simply covered the cushion with a modern (at that time) replacement. My wife purchased a leather replacement cushion from Classtique (it is fantastic). But now, in removing the two layers of upholstery from the front cushion springs, I have run into a roadblock.
The bottom rim of the springs is bound in a wood tack ring that apparently was originally used to secure the leather. It seems solid, although it has a lot of tack holes. Does it make sense to repair all of the tack holes (toothpicks and superglue), or is there a better option. My plan is to repair the wood, blast the springs with walnut shells, and then paint the springs. Does this make sense? I do not want to toss away the old springs, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
I would appreciate and guidance…

Mike
springs1
springs2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Crap! Wrong location

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration