Very OT - Anyone into Model Railroading???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Very OT - Anyone into Model Railroading???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

I mistakenly purchased a Stoney Classic Castings 1/87 resin 1950 Packard model kit off of e-bay last week. The listing stated the scale as HO, not 1/87, so I purchased it in hopes to add it to my 1/64 Aurora slotless car collection. Upon further research I discovered that these cars are for HO scale railroad systems and that there is a huge variance in scales as far as HO is concerned.
I thought I would post here first before I put it on e-bay to see if there was any interest. All I am asking is what I paid for it: $5.99 for the car and $2.62 shipping. You can see the listing that I bid on here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172440516613?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

If you are interested, please PM me at jlkelsey1992@msn.com. I will wait until the end of the week to list it; if I do not hear from anyone, I will list it. Thanks.

- Jim

For those inquiring minds...if you are curious and want to see my slotless racing flickr account you can go here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30794229@N02/
My handle is convairxf92.

If you are really bored and want to see some videos of slotless racing, my Youtube account is here and my handle is mcdonnellf101 or find Jim Kelseyhttps://www.youtube.com/user/mcdonnellf101

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Jim,
I can't see how it could be listed as one, and not the other.
HO has always been 1/87 scale as in 3.5mm = 1 foot
S has always been 1/64 scale as in 3/16" = 1 foot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Slot car "HO" ranges from 1/64 AFX to 1/76 T-jet. Slot car guys don't use the S gauge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:00 am:

Jim,
Well Thanks... that's something I never heard. It's been too many years since I fooled with slot cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:29 am:

Yep, 1/64 or also known as 3/16" is S scale (gauge is the distance between the rails--however in S, "gauge" usually means American Flyer and "Highrail" and "Scale" is used to define scale operations with scale wheel flanges and couplers. I know, it's confusing!).
However, in die cast cars, 1/64 cars also vary a lot in size or actual scale. It seems the manufacturers make the cars to fit their packaging, not the other way around!
BTW, March 16 is "National S Gauge Day" and there's a reason Superman has a big S on his chest!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:20 am:

David,
Yes, I still get a chuckle out your tale of Superman and the big "S" I have shared that story with a few train friends. Just always remember... "O" Scale is King!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

David D has it right. I believe that Aurora went from the smaller, popular Thunder Jet series of the 1960s to the larger AFX series of the 1970s to accommodate the larger armatures. Interestingly, the Speed Steer uses the polarity of the armature to change lanes. Pretty cool idea.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration