Down draft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Down draft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Most "T" guys have "A"s and or parts so I thought I'd give this a try. Looking for a aftermarket complete, no missing parts, restorable down draft Model "A" carburetor and intake manifold. Please supply pictures, condition and price. Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

John that is kinda an open ended search. I suggest going to Fordbarn or H.A.M.B. and get some ideas on which carb you want because there is no such thing as a Model A downdraft. A lot boils down to what "jetting" you need for your application and what the bolt pattern is on the manifold if you don't get it with the carb, two or three to mount the carb. Plenty of guys have added them, some have done it right some pore the fuel through the engine with no gain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 10:29 am:

I agree Mark with the open ended search. Here's where I'm coming from. I have never had such an item, always wanted one, thought they were "cool as hell". Don't know what the going price is but hope that person will be fair. As I wrote this posting, I'm thinking maybe I'm opening a can a worms and is the engine ever going to run right. As it is now, it runs like a "Singer Sew'n Machine". Maybe I should leave well enough alone !!! Here's another thing, wife loves to drive the 31' Dlx Roadster and the 22' Touring and it's got to be dependable, no headaches or grief otherwise it's no fun for her and a pain in the butt for me if it doesn't run right. A friend, Al Englseer, has a restored collection of cars we could only dream of from the 30's, 40's 50's and 60's and they all have rare and unusual speed equipment, maybe I'll give em' a call. Thanks for responding Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:12 am:

John I hope you don't take my post as knocking your goal, I wasn't. People have adapted and used a number of different carb over the years; Strombergs (the two numbers that come to mind are 94 and 97), Carters even side draft SU's etc. As far as prices go, google Ford Model A down draft or check ebay for the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Stromberg 81's are well suited to Model A downdraft setups. They are what was used on the 60 V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

John:
if you just want a basic , plain jane ,functional unit ...I have had very good results with a standard A manifold that is capped on the bottom and an extended riser and mounting plate brazed into the top of the original manifold ( yes you will have to bore a hole into the top of the manifold) ...I prefer the Holley 1 barrel side bowl carb. that was used on the Ford 6 cyl. 215/223 engines in the 1950 thru early 60's ...at my elevation I have used down to a .054 diameter fuel jet ...these are sized about right for a standard to mild hop up model A and retains good idle and very good acceleration and top end ...you will need to add a low pressure electric fuel pump ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

John:
sorry , I forgot to mention that these turn up on ebay sometimes and with a simple carb. can be a very reliable unit ...otherwise the modern Webber 2barrel conversions are nice too , but I would want a performance cam and better ignition unit than the standard A units...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:41 am:

John, Why do you want to go to a downdraft carb on a stock Model A, just for looks or something else ? Another idea from the 1930's would be to find a Model B carb and manifold, which is a updraft, and adapt it to the Model A engine's angled mounting. For a downdraft carb Stan Howe's idea of using a Stromberg 81 is good and should fit a hotrod type Model A manifold for a Stromberg 97 with a little work or adaptor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Boy oh' boy, where do I start ??? Such good responses, NO offence taken Mark/Kevin. Stan and Gene, I've been down that road with performance stuff. Cars/trucks/Street Rods I've owned should have been on a straight line track instead of the street, and they were all Fords. NO this set up I inquired about for my Model"A" is strickly cosmetic. A MTFCA member from CO gave me some info regarding the carb set up from Bert's Model "A" I'm going to check out. Thank you guys for your time/input, I will use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 12:22 am:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Gene French,

I have a manifold modified the way you describe, but it's from a model B. It was amongst a bunch of other parts so I have never used it. On examination, I assumed it was not successful as I would expect liquid fuel would pool in the lower section of the manifold that is capped off, making control of the air fuel ratio near impossible. Is that not a concern?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:38 am:

there are several dealers that sell new 94/97/81 downdraft manifolds for A's.--------A used one can be pretty high as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Gary:
I had never experienced that problem ...I was careful to get my fuel jet matched to the needs of a particular engine and not run too rich ...also the manifold bolts to the exhaust and I would think that the heat would evaporate the excess if a flooding condition had occurred ...I have had very good results with the old holley 1 bbl. side bowl carburetor ...did this since high school ( 46 yr. ago)...the side bowl carb. was common and you could get a rebuild for about $15 then ...probably a LOT higher now ...always an optimist...gene French

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration