Wanted: 1913 Valve Cover Plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted: 1913 Valve Cover Plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Looking for a decent priced set of the thick valve cover plates used on 13 blocks. I have several of the .065"thickness, and one pitted thick .095" style. I'd like to find one more thick one, or 2 really nice thick ones.

Anyone know of the cutoff for the thick plates? My 13 is a late spring early summer build, about the time 14 parts started showing up (mine has 14 style latches). So if either thick or the thinner would work, I'll stick with my thin ones as they are in perfect shape.

Benji
Pm me for details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:05 am:

The early doors (up to 1917) were #13 ga. steel; starting around 1917 they were 20 ga. As I recall, the early ones were made from crankcase scrap, the later ones from fender scrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

RV, so is Roddas book incorrect then? He says the .065 were 1914 to some specific year I cant remember, then became even thinner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 05:26 am:

All the early engines I have came across have the thicker doors on them also!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:03 am:

All I know is, that's what Ford said. The earliest doors did have very distinctive, sharp "X" embossing, but by '14 that was starting to go away. I believe that my '14 has the thick doors with the less sharp embossing. Sometime before spring I'm going to pull the doors off to check the valve/lifter clearances, and I will measure the thickness then, but it's going to be awhile yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:30 am:

I think they changed the thickness at least four times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Benji, I finally found them. I have 4 sets measuring .060 to .070. $40.00 per pair and $6.00 shipping. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 10:27 am:

The thinner ones are difficult to get to seal. They distort when you try to snug up the nuts. I never knew that Ford made the thinner ones; I thought they were repops. My Model T education continues. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Still looking for the valve cover plates for my 13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

still looking

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration