Poor mans Rajo for sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Poor mans Rajo for sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

This is a 1928 chevy two port head with the longer rocker arms.This head has been boiled out and magnifluxed. It also has had hardened valve seats installed and the head has been lightly surfaced. It comes with 2 brand new egge valves that I bought to see how I liked them. It needs 6 more egge valves and then the valve seats can be cut to the valves. The head comes with an extra 4 1928 rocker arms, and 8 1927 rocker arms. It also comes with more than enough push rods and valve springs. The pictures say 1000 words. This head is almost ready to go. The adapter plate is in nice shape too.
$1100 plus shipping
Call Daniel 831-278-2742

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

1000 plus shipping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:57 am:

Me thinks one would be better off buying the 28 Chev 2 port head and motor above for a couple a hundred bucks and doing your own machine work and save about $700.00. The last 2 port I bought at Bakersfield was $75.00, and the last 3 port I bought was $200.00.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:04 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

The plate costs $300 there are and there are machining costs on top of that. Also the complete motor hasn't been magnifluxed. You got a good deal @ $75, they have been going for ~400 on eBay for just a blank head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

900 plus shipping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

I for one am glad to have both raw parts and nicely rebuilt parts to choose from from this website. Not everyone is able to get to swap meets nor proximity to get a low dollar engine to work on. More than that, a lot of us do not have a milling machine in our home shops, nor access to low priced machine shop time.

Daniel has done all the running around to get a package of good parts, cleaned, prepped, done a lot of the "heavy lifting". $1000 is a LOT less than $3000+ for a Fronty or Rajo head that often still needs machine work ( though a factory overhead is still best ) . The adapter plate alone is likely worth around $200 . The Jern Thunderbolt setup employed a plate like this and I think it was somewhere in the $200 to $250 range back when it was available. ( not sure if this setup is still being made as Mr. Neal Jern had passed away if memory serves me correctly) .

None of us should begrudge someone to make a few dollars to help them pay for their projects nor demean the value of their product ( especially when their parts are properly represented) .

If I did not already have a Fronty and a Rajo, I would seriously consider Daniel's Overhead as an option at this price given that I value my time. No need for drama here fellas - just hope that everyone plays nice in the sandbox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Whoops - looks like I have to check up on my prices. Daniel, I am likely low on my conservative estimate of the adaptor plate. I was going off of my memory of what I have seen in the past few years.

You are likely more correct at $300+ . No matter, it is the principle of the thing in that when one prices out everything in the package you have for sale, it all adds up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Thank you Ed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Ed:
your comments are a good summation of the time and material cost that are involved in developing a product for sale ...also in the Model T hobby the market is SMALL , especially for non-stock items ...I am currently working with another small shop to bring a adapter plate "kit" back into the market ...this will include the plate for the mounting of the Chev. head on the T block , the water outlet for the upper radiator hose and the side cover plates to cover the pushrods and block off the T manifold ports , AND will likely use high temperature O-rings instead of gaskets in the combustion chamber area ...also for everyone's information ...the material cost for just the cylinder head plate is $78.60 when material is purchased in a 12 foot bar ...this is the cost of RAW material ...before the first cutoff operation or any machining is done ...this note is NOT intended to detract from Daniel's advertisement and is only intended to give people an idea of the cost in producing and marketing a product and the worth of an item like this that is done correctly ...this is not a simple "bolt on " fit ...remember ...if you want to play , you have to pay ...always an optimist ...Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Yup! It costs money to do all this stuff!!!! When you are a hobby guy you don't have to factor in the cost of a lot of things you do when you are doing something as a business and trying to at least break even -- let alone keep shoes on the babies and Cheerios on the table.

Ed & Gene are exactly right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

The setup is offered at $900. A real Rajo might cost you $4000. It is truly a a "poor man's" Rajo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

I don't see the Jern (Thunderbolt) website any longer, but as I recall the kit cost $1100 and a core '28 Chev head was $250. The adapter plate alone was $600.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

I will include a 1927 Nash carburator with this. It is similar to the chevy in design, looks like an older rebuilt, brass bowl, float tests good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

I happen to have a plate here still that I got from Neal years ago (unmachined) and have thought many times about finding a more modern head to mate it up with. I also had one of his first plates (he was a friend) that had a machining oops. As far as Chevy heads go there was a time when I actually had a couple that I pulled off engines in a particular junk yard (post 2000). The heads are getting more difficult to find and as everything supply and demand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rusty Berg - West Bloomfield, MI on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Daniel,

PM sent.

Rusty Berg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Ok I'll check my inbox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Sold to rusty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Great deal, I wanted it, just wasn't willing to part with the $$ at this moment for a non essential item. Glad Rusty got it, have fun with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:45 am:

Rusty,
Thanks for making the decision for me. At least I know where to find it, and maybe I'll get a ride in it when it's done!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration