Current market value for the "Improved" wire wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Current market value for the "Improved" wire wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Tomorrow I will be taking a look at a large lot of wire wheels, not all Model T. From the pics it looks like there are at least 4, maybe 5 improved wire wheels. They look pretty good, just surface rust from what I can see from the pics. What is a reasonable offer to make for the T wheels? The seller wants an offer for the entire lot, T and non T so he can be done with it. There are also 4 or 5 early V8 wheels, but I'm not sure if they are 18,17, or 16 inch wheels. Any idea on the value of those would be appreciated also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Gary , here is a link to E-Bay auctions. It is a "completed auction" search. Anything shown in green is a sold price. You can compare a lot of the sales for the last three months by doing a "completed auction" search for almost anything. It appears to be about 75 to 100.00 per wheel average. But some will always sell higher and some lower. Just use averaging and make a judgment call as to current market value. also pay attention to condition and the description when making the decision.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=model%20t%20wire%20wheel. &LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Look at the inner bead for rust out, look at the upper edge to make sure they have not been rolled around with no tire and are flattened...that is not repairable. Of course look for bent spokes or broken off at the rim. Look for cracks in the lug holes.

Wire wheels are a nightmare to restore, they are bent, broken and just terrible to sand and fix. They need to be drilled in the inside bead at 4 locations, each side 180 degrees apart and stripped to get the rust out then sealed.

If you like wire wheels and have time to press, weld, spray and sand go for it but myself a T wheel is $50 unless it is really nice. The V-8 wheels would just be junk from one guy to another and I don't buy another persons trash.

Take folding paper money and make an offer on the T wheels, if he is foolish he will turn it down and keep the lot. If he is smart he will take some dollars for what he has and deal with the left overs however he wants. Cash is king and I don't buy what I don't want.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Look at drop centers for heavy rust broken spokes and cracks or worn areas around the lug holes
What I have gotton for wheels
Model T $125 or less
Model A both 21" and 19" $75 or less
Early V8 18" and 17" $80 or less
late V8 16" $125 or less
These are per wheel prices but condition is everything and finding a person needing them
Wheels are not hard to ship but can be costly
But buying them figure time and energy and know they are not a fast seller
Last couple sets of wheel I sold on Craigslist and
That was a pain in the a☆☆

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

My top dollar price these wheels were ready for paint and excellent shape.
Only time I buy a wheel is when I need it unless it's to cheap/ good pass up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

I echo what has been stated above, but will add one thing; if the wheels don't have tires on them and have not been run flat without a tire; and if a smooth level surface is available, gentle roll the rim a short distance on the smooth surface. I the rim has any warpage or twist to it, it will wobble instead of rolling straight and true.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration