Silly question about fordor on t-bay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Silly question about fordor on t-bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

While looking through the offerings on t-bay I saw this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Ford-Model-T-see-photos-/152433571917?forcerrptr=true&hash=item237dbfb84d:g:zGMAAOSw44BYSIfy&item=152433571917

What struck me as odd is the demountable wheels are attached with 5 lugs I thought Ford only had 4 lugs or are these an accessory item??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

While earlier Ts often have 30x 3 1/2 clincher rim setups with 5 lugs that are aftermarket accessory, I suspect that these straight side rims of unknown to us rim size are probably wrecking yard escapees from some other brand of 1920s car.
Try to get close pictures of them and the tire size from the sidewall of the tires. An Id of their origin is possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Maxwell for one used 5 lugs. I am pleased to see the ebay ad. I always learn from these photos.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

These appear to be Firestone 5 Lug!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Bill,
The Firestone 5 lugs that we are familiar with on earlier Model Ts are 30 x 3 1/2 clinchers.
In my above reply I tried to indicate that these wheels seem to be perhaps 21" rims with straight side tires. These may also be of Firestone manufacture but have different shaped lugs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration