Wanted: Zenith HP5a carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted: Zenith HP5a carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

I am looking for a zenith HP5a sidedraft carb. If anyone has one in complete decent condition that they would consider selling please contact me. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:06 am:

I have several. I spent the day today working on two of them. Have them ready to go back together in the morning. These are sold but I have 3 or 4 more. Stan Howe 406-949-3448 stanhowemt@aol.com

www.strombergof.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Stan,

Are you making adjustable main jets for these? Do they require modifying the body of the carb? I'd sure be interested in one for the 5A on my speedster if it were an easy (no brainer) install.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Yes, I will be standing at the lathe for an hour or two this afternoon because I really need to get one done before I leave tomorrow and get an HP5A in the mail.

Answer to your question. No modifications necessary. I replace the bottom plug under the main jet with an adjuster and the main jet itself with a reworked jet to allow for more fuel flow and the adjustment of that flow.

I also make one for the idle mixture, which stops the annoying stumble and slobber at idle and stops the plugs from fouling if somebody drilled the idle jet for richer idle.

Installation is about 5 minutes. Unscrew the plug and the jet. Install the new jet with the gasket. Install the new plug and gasket with the adjuster. Start engine and adjust the mixture. $150 each or $275 for a set of main jet and idle adjusters including postage. I like to have the original plugs back as a core if they are in good condition.

I have them available for the 5A, 4A and 4U, S4BF and can make them for about any other Zenith or other carbs with fixed size jets.

Here is one in an HP4S. Same design, 5A is slightly larger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 12:50 am:

Just put the one I was working on today in a box for tomorrow's mail. Thought I'd post a couple photos of my new design for the adjustable main jet. Slightly smaller and no threaded connection between the carb plug and the adjuster.

Also, since it is now machined as all one unit with the threads as the reference location rather than a threaded piece screwed in to the drilled and tapped hole in the plug it should center exactly on the hole in the jet for finer adjustment.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration