Newby with '15 Touring Restart Issues

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Newby with '15 Touring Restart Issues
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

First off, Iím a newby so be gentle. My father could not longer take care for one of my Ďbrothersí (a 1915 touring car I grew up with) so the car moved in with me back in November. I travel extensively so I can only play with it on some weekends. I need a little advice and help. If someone lives in the Peninsula region of Southeastern VA, Iíd like to meet up sometime.

Iíve had it up and running a dozen times or so as well as out on the road. Starting (for the most part) hasnít been too bad. Strangely enough, initially starting has been pretty easy (with a few exceptions). My real problem is starting it after I turn it off or if it stalls out (God forbid, then Iím doomed). The normal restarting is baffling to me. It should start right back up with a single tug, but that has only happened once. I turn the key to the off position and when I attempt to restart it, I can crank for a looooong time with no-so-good results. Iíve had to resort to having it pull started with my truck about half of the time. Even then, it takes several rotations of the engine before firing. Iím at a loss for understanding.

It is a pull start (no starter). I know Iím getting spark to each coil and Iíve never played with the timing since it was running fine. I went to clean the commutator (per my dadís advice over the phone) and found that it was sparkling clean. So much that I think one of the last things he may have done was replaced it. Unfortunately the years are badly affecting his memory and he just doesnít remember. I squirted a couple shots into the commutator, but still no startup. When on battery, the coils sounded like they fired more consistently and thoroughly after oiling the commutator though. Again, she has been running and running well, so I donít believe there to be a timing issue. The only time it backfired was when I got the gas and spark mixed up when first learning to drive it (lesson learned without a broken arm or thumb).

I had a battle with starting it yesterday (Model T Ė 1, Max Ė 0). Hereís the series of events. Got battery hooked up. Turned gas on (made that mistake before). Adjusted the carb to about 1-3/4 turns open (made that mistake before too). Choked it with about 1 to 1-1/4 hand crank turns. Turned key to battery and just started immediately without cranking. Great! I like easy. I put the spark nearly all the way down (if she is all the way down, she sputters). Put the gas lever at a quarter. Adjusted the carb down to about ľ open. It went about its business clicking away and running very smooth. She ran for about a minute and a half. Started to run rough and cut out. I never got to switch it to the magneto. I tried checking spark and gas lever settings again (which were correct), but she already died on me. No problemo since she ran for a bit, right? I cranked a couple of times to see if sheíd start back up but with no luck at all. I turned off the key and choked her about a full turn. She sputtered a bit but didnít start. I repeated twice with the same result. Then nothing. No sputtering. No burping. Just a lot of swearing (by me, not the car). For about 2 hours, cranking and cussing. I figured Iíd let her sit and try again later. Thatís the point where I checked the commutator and oiled it. Waited til later that evening and tried starting again. Half hour later without starting or even sputtering, it was surrender time for the day (Model T Ė 2, Max Ė 0, game over). It was too late to try pull starting to see if she would even start then.

My hunch from VERY limited knowledge and understanding is fuel delivery since there was zero indication of wanting to fire a cylinder. Yes, she had about an ľ tank, maybe 3 Ė 4 gallons (lesson previously learned). Very frustrating. Unfortunately, Iím headed out of town and will have to resume next weekend.

Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated from a novice with a thirst for understanding. Please remember (if you are kind enough to make a suggestion) that on a knowledge scale from 0-10 with 0 being ďthatís the commutator, right???Ē and 10 being ďMax designed the Model TĒ, Iím about a negative two. I was a pre-teen when my dad did the bottom up restoration in the 70ís. My experience and knowledge upon taking it into adoptive care was polishing her brass and cranking her to start her for my dad as he got older. Virtually everything Iíve learned in my limited ownership has been school of hard knocks and rough cranking. Also, please understand that my job makes it difficult to reply quickly, so if it is a while before I reply, please donít be offended.

PS - Sorry for the long thread lead. I talk even more...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Whoops! I didn't realize I was in the classifieds when I posted. Please ignore or go to the 2017 threads... ughhh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

1/4 open on the carb seems way to lean. I would expect the engine would "run for a minute then die."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration