New guy, young guy, needs guidance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: New guy, young guy, needs guidance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Good evening everyone!

My name is Stephen. I have been looking at Ts for a long time now for a fun project car. After drooling at some of the nicer torpedos and brass cars on the market i consulted my wallet... it said no. SO I have decided to build a speedster/period hotrod. I have a fair bit of tin knocking experience and have been working on old cars my whole life but have finally decided to build one for myself.

I have found a 26 Roadster that is in OK shape and plan on turning it into something fun to drive in modern traffic. I am looking for advice on what i should do, shouldnt do, would be nice to do, etc. I have been saving up for a while to do this project so i think i have all the $$ i need for my "warm rod" haha

So far here are my plans,
Chassis:
-Remove the fenders
-install drop axle / lower rear member,
-Re-arch the springs for a bit more lowering
-19" steel wheels (model A?) car has the wire wheel hubs, sure i can get a way to mount A wheels on them
-Install brakes!

For a transmission i was thinking either of a Warford, or a Ruckstell with 3.0 gears in it. Both ways give me an over drive, but i guss with the Ruckstell i wont have "under drive" with the high speed gear in the back. Is this true? opinions on what would work best would be appreciated here.

Engine.
Here is what i was saving up for. I am going to go with a Rajo OHV (one of the new ones). Going to give the Mfg a call to discuss the rest of the engine. But any suggestions would be appreciated.(cam, pistons, anything i should know, etc) Also going with distributor. Going to get a new radiator, and probably no water pump (good idea? or should i run a pump)

For a often driven Model T, what other things should i look at? Texas T rear hubs? XY adjustable pinon bearing?

I plan on doing a tear down of the entire drive train and all suspension components, an "inspect and replace" rather than a total rebuild of everything. What should i look out for?

Any other advice, tips, tricks, warnings, or just to call me crazy is welcome

Regards,

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Just realized i posted in the wrong forum haha....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Seeing as how you live in michigan there might be a few guys that can help u out. Find the local T club and go to their next meeting. Them come back and tell us more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration