Source for Neoprene Fuel Packing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Source for Neoprene Fuel Packing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Hey guys, besides the big suppliers for T's, does anyone know of a source for the neoprene packing for the fuel lines? I'd like to find a retailer locally if any store sells them.

Thanks,
Jim in Oswego, IL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

James, standard fuel line will do the trick. I cut 1/4" long pieces, slit the outside layer and remove it, and then slide the 1/4" long inner piece over the fuel line to make the seal. Works a treat

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Allan,
Do you mean standard rubber reinforced fuel line- 1/4" ID?

Didn't know of an inside and outside layer.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

James, I have used standard neoprene "O" rings. You have to use two sizes as they aren't thick enough by them selves. Most any auto parts store should have an assortment that you can chose from. Just alternate them and stack them until you have enough to fill the void. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

I used the Neoprene fuel hose from one of the suppliers and it sealed fine. Interestingly I pulled the carb off for a different reason and found that the Neoprene hose had hardened to the point it was like a little rock. It still seemed to seal fine, but was not re-usable.

http://www.marcorubber.com/materialguide.htm

I switched to Viton O rings and have never had a problem since.

The outside of neoprene fuel hose is not rated for gas exposure. If you don't believe me, put a piece in a little cup of gas and see what is left in a week. I was surprised when I did it.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Joe,
What size Viton O-Ring did you end up using?

Thanks,
Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration