EASY STARTER MOTOR REMOVAL

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: EASY STARTER MOTOR REMOVAL
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 11:28 am:

Does anybody know of a slick way to get at the starter motor mounting screws? I have one screw missing (naturally it's gotta be the upper outboard one)and I want to replace it and tighten the others. Between the firewall and the LH engine drip pan it seems nearly impossible. You guys have all the answers so don't let me down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Calling Bob Corio....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Petithomme on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Hi John, I had the same problem last week. I got the bolt out with little problem, but when I went to reinstall the starter,there was no way I could get that bolt back in. After about a 1/2 hour of trying to get it back in and using every trick I had in my tool box, I called my wife for help. She came out and said," you mean you want to get that bolt in that hole? She took the bolt and with her small hand she had in in place with no problem. Problem solved. I am sure the experts out there have a better solution. I guess I should have replied to John's problem in the forum, but anyway...
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Use a pickle grabber to get it started. Sold at kitchen stores to grab pickles our of the jar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Petithomme on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Tom, Good solution, but I tried my pickle grabber and it would not go around the wooden firewall. It is kind of a angle shot on my 1911.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

John, I would check on renting Bob's wife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

When I rebuilt my engine/trans, I deleted the magneto and everything needed to run on coil. When I asked a local old timer who "specializes in T's if the bolts for the magneto coil were needed to be put back on, he advised and reassured me they were NOT needed. You could not tell by the naked eye that it was needed. Soooo, upon initial start up, oil was pouring out in the left rear bottom corner where the engine/the pan/hogshead all meet. It was leaking through the threaded hole for the magneto coil mounting bolt. Like a sieve. I called the old timer and he said "huh" it SHOULDN'T have been drilled/tapped all the way through the engine block, and I would have to pull the hogshead and if I wasn't able to get to it I would have to pull the engine. I tried through the trans cover, nope. I pulled the engine pan inspection cover and I could feel it with my finger but couldn't get my hand in there while holding the bolt. Tried every trick, for over an hour, I knew until my 9 year old son came out and asked what I was doing. Light bulb. I asked if he could stick his hand up there with the bolt (praying he didn't get his hand stuck and having explain that to my wife). He grabbed the bolt, stuck his little hand up there and voila. He removed it, I cleaned the hole and with some loctite, he re-inserted and tightened it with a wrench. Crisis averted. Figure I would pass this along so no one else doesn't have this issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

I have a trick I use on the bendix cover screws which may also work on starter mounting screws. I use a 2" length of 1/4" rubber fuel hose. The screw head is pushed in one end and a screwdriver blade in the other. The hose holds the screw and the whole is held on the blade. Works a treat. Just need to upsize for starter bolts perhaps.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 07:24 am:

I apologize for placing this classifieds....Thank you one and all. Great suggestions. It sounds like I need either a little kid or a smaller wife!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration