For Sale: 1920 Centerdoor Sedan $5,900 (Houston, Texas)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: For Sale: 1920 Centerdoor Sedan $5,900 (Houston, Texas)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:50 am:

For Sale – 1920 Centerdoor Sedan – $5,900

I purchased this car last year from a dealer in Georgia. The car was formerly in the collection of Truett Cathy, the founder of Chick-fil-A. When I received the car, the clutch had issues so I started a rehab project on the engine that morphed into a full drivetrain overhaul with which I have limited experience.

The photo below is of when I purchased her last year. I will be posting additional photos this afternoon of the current status.

Here is where things are at:

The engine, which was running when I removed from the car, needs an overhaul. At some point in the past, someone drilled a head bolt into the water inlet. It was sealed up fairly well by an old repair, but will need to be either repaired again or the block itself replaced. All the parts for the engine are there – manifolds, carburetor, fan, etc. – to put it all back together. The transmission bands will need to be replaced. The radiator appears to be fairly new and is in good shape and the gas tank is serviceable. I will supply a new rebuilt Holley NH carbureator at a cost of $200 plus a new gasket set and Kevlar band kit.

I removed the original rear end and replaced it with one that Ross Lilleker recently rebuilt at a cost of $2000. Both come with the car. I just replaced the 8-leaf rear spring with a brand new one from T-Springs at a cost of $750. The original spring comes with the car.

The tires are old, but holding air. The rims are the Kelsey type.

The interior is an older restoration with the accompanying wear. There is a hole on the underside of the rear cushion that doesn’t show. The headliner looks good. I have a new carpet kit that will come with the car at a cost of $150. The top is in good shape. Like most of these sedans, the doors sag a bit at the bottom.

The paint work is a decent “20 footer.” It has some spidering and blemishes in places but not too bad for a driver.

I have a new muffler for the car, but it needs a new pipe. The original one comes with the car.

The car is still titled in Georgia, but I have the documents showing the sale to me. It will come with a bill of sale.

Overall, the car would be a great project for someone with more time, experience and space than I currently have. I have a lot more invested in this car (in excess of $15,000) than I will recover through this sale, but I want her to go to a good home and not be turned into a street rod. (I have had several of those guys asking for her...uggh).

Car is located in Houston, Texas. Sold as-is, where-is. Price is firm.

PM me through the Forum if interested.

(Message edited by mike hanson on March 31, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Hello Mike, give me a call when you get a chance. thanks David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

In response to some inquiries, the rebuilt and new items that I noted above (rear end, carburetor, carpet kit, etc.) come with the car and ARE included in the $5,900 price.

I set the price at $5,900 so that the car can be affordably restored and finished to original by one of you guys and not chopped up by a street rodder. "Lilley" (as I nicknamed her) deserves that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

very nice car, great price I'd be all over it if I had not just bought my '19 center door. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for holding out for a real car collector, not one of those butchers who want to "improve" it by hotroding.....I have sold cars well below true value to keep them in the hands of a caretaker...not a Dr. Frankenstien...stick to your guns, this car will sell TODAY its to nice to be ruined

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

I hauled this from Georgia.

Sorry this did not turn out to be the car you thought it was

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Great deal, hope it finds a good home. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

@Mike wish this were around 4 months ago when I bought my current a lot of work Shirley project. Hope it finds a good home :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

I sent a message to John Steele. He needs this, Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Mike: Pm sent check your email. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

As noted in my original post, here are photos of the car as it sits today. A few things to note based on the inquiries received:

1. The body wood is ORIGINAL from what I can tell. Both doors need to be lifted up to firmly close, so that means some sagging as occurred over time. If you choose to do so, body wood in Centerdoors can be difficult to replace unless you have experience in such matters. I tried to take photos of the exposed wood in the body.

2. I have new wiring harnesses that go with the car. The only item not included is the horn wire.

3. I have five brand new 3.5x30 Wards Riverside tires (blackwalls) that I was going to put on the car. (It does have the rear spare tire carrier). I would sell them with the car for an extra $500 just to keep everything together.

4. If you need more information, please ask.

Thanks MTFCA.

Mike Hanson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Photo group 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Photo group 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Photo group 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Photo group 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Photo group 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

Photo group 6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Photo group 7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Photo group 8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

Photo group 9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Photo group 10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Photo group 11

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Last photo group

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Shoot, if my wife wouldn't actually kill me and if.......I would do it.
What a beauty and thanks Mike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

I wish I had some way to grab that deal! My wife would be the least of my problems for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 07:43 am:

What a nice old car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Drisko on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 08:29 am:

If I had an economical way to get it to Maine, I'd grab it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Gordon:
The car can be shipped for less than 1000.00 by an insured carrier. There are no shortages of these brokers on the internet. I had an antique shipped from Washington State to Ohio for $1100.00.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Mike. I am sorry that you are not satisfied with the Centerdoor. In a way I am, perhaps, lucky because I contacted Tommie a day after you purchased it from him. Your selling price is extremely reasonable knowing how much Tommie's selling price was for it. I would be interested but I have acquired a '23 Centerdoor since then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Drisko on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Mike, I sent you a PM yesterday, please give me a call when you have a minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Those pictures show some nice detail. I missed out on an original centerdoor body with fair original upholstery a couple years ago. They were asking $6,000 for the body plus some nice fenders. They eventually got the 6 grand. I can't believe the asking price for this one. I wish I had the room.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Thanks Richard. I am still working through a list of interested parties. It will make a good little car.

If someone had a spare engine that could be dropped in, this car could be back on the road in short order. That was the route I was going to take.

Mike Hanson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Here are some photos of the interior before it was disassembled to work on the drivetrain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

PM sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

Car is sold and headed to Atlanta, Texas. Thanks MTFCA.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration