Buffalos are no longer extinct!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Buffalos are no longer extinct!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Just picked up the first sample from the foundry today. Had excellent results from the new pattern. The casting will be on display at the Bakersfield swap meet, space D-6. No time to finish it before then.

New Buffalo wheel center cast from chromolly steel will be available soon. Wheel centers will be fully CNC machined and ready to use. Will interchange with original Buffalo/House design.

These wheel centers allow me to supply all parts in the Buffalo/House wheel system. Wheel centers, spokes, rims, hubs, hub nuts, hub puller, hub nut wrench.

Please contact me directly for more information. I will continue to post progress updates on this project

New casting on the left, original on the right

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

A little more grinding to smooth out the casting, and then the machine work is soon to follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:31 am:

All the lathe work turned out great!! Now just the "couregated drive" and the spoke holes to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Were the originals cast? I always assumed they were stamped steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

You are right Derek. The jury is still out as to wether or not they were stamped or spun. But they were formed from sheet metal none the less.

I considered forming my reproductions from sheet like the originals... But the tooling costs were waaaaaay too expensive for the projected volumes. I just don't see me making wheels by the 10,000's.

Casting the wheel centers allows me to provide a relatively affordable low volume manufacturing option and still maintain excellent material quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Any plans to sell complete ready to go wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Yes, my plan is to offer all the components of the wheels individually, as well as complete assembled wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:17 am:

It certainly is nice to see that fine work.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Today's project was to get the corrugated drive under control. Turns out it wasn't as straight forward as I had hoped... But I had success in the end.

With any luck I will get the spoke holes drilled and get it laced into a rim this weekend!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

All laced up and ready to true!!!

The first production batch will be about 36 wheels. And should become available later this summer or early fall. Almost all of these wheels are spoken for already.

Feel free to call with all your Buffalo wheel needs. From a single spoke to a complete set of wheels and hubs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon Butler on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

How much will these wheels cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Nice.

Could this explain why there were so many sets of original wire wheels for sale a Chickasaw?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

I'm not sure yet Brandon. The foundry poured this one prototype to prove that the pattern would work. They haven't even told me what the raw castings will cost yet. I hope to get the prices figured out in the near future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

After a number of inquiries as to why I chose to machine the corrugated drive instead of casting the final shape, I have decided to post a few pics in an effort to explain why. All of these pics are of complete wheels, tight and true, mounted on one of my new hubs and properly tightened.

First is a pic showing an original stamped steel wheel center and how it interfaces with the hub.

Second is a reproduction cast wheel center of unknown origin. Notice the obvious air gap between the components. This gap is typical of at least half of the corrugations. And also typical of foundry tolerances.

Third is my new casting, having been fully CNC machined it is a perfect fit with no slop or air gap on the hub.

There are some things that a foundry does well, unfortunately tight tolerances is not one of them. I am committed to building a high quality finished product, and this feature is an important part of that commitment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Kevin - the integrity of your work shows you know what is important to get it right. Glad to know there is a skilled craftsman out there putting out important products for people that need them. Have a great day. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 01:25 am:

Just getting started the next batch of Buffalo wheel hubs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:01 am:

I finally made up my mind...

I loaded up my one prototype Buffalo wheel into the trunk of the Avanti, and I'm headin to the Mother Lode swap meet in Auburn, CA in the morning. Don't know what space I'll be in, but I'll be there. So look for the Studebaker Avanti, and stop by and say hi. See you there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 12:07 am:

I'll have my prototype Buffalo wire wheel in Hollister tomorrow morning for the Santa Clara Endurance Run. If your interested in looking at the wheel, look for the cream colored speedster with no numbers on it (I couldn't get them painted on in time).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Hopkins Victoria BC Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Love your speedster. When you have time, could you please post some detail pictures of your front disc brakes? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Had me a slight delay in the wheel makin process last Sunday when my wife woke me up at 1am to tell me her water had broken.

Evelyn Pharis
5lb 9oz
4 weeks early, strong and healthy!

This makes 3 girls in the house now... I'm way outnumbered!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Great news. Lucky guy. Glad everything worked out healthy wise And my congrats my friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Congratulations Kevin, you might end up repainting the speedster pink at this rate! MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:56 am:

That's the smallest Pharis I've ever seen. Congrats Kevin.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Congratulations, dad!

So, is your version of the Buffalo going to be called the "Pharis Wheel"?

Sorry

Couldn't resist

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

All those big slugs of steel are finally starting to look like something useful...
Buffalo hubs in process

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Beautiful new daughter, Kevin. Congratulations!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

After 2 1/2 years of development... They are finally here!!! Slated to start the machine work as soon as the hubs and caps are done.

#3 Buffalo wheel center castings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TIMOTHY SHAWN ELDER on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Have prices been set on individual components and on a completed wheel or wheel sets? tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Yes Tim, all of the prices are set for all of the products that I manufacture. If you or anyone else is interested in my products, please contact me directly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Great thread for a family business !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Pharis on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Hey Kevin I'm looking for seconds.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 01:46 am:

A bit of a milestone today... I finally got to box up some finished parts :-)

10 pair of front hubs... DUN!
13 pair of rear hubs... 90%
8 sets of bronze wing nuts... DUN!
4 sets of bronze hex nuts... 90%

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Kevin,
You need my part of an original spare carrier to display one of these on. Previous owner said it had a Buffalo front hub when he bought it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 01:35 am:

With all of the hubs and nuts completed and on the shelf... It's wheel center time!! And I'm starting to feel like I'm making some progress. While the CNC's run in the background, I've been grinding and polishing the castings. With any luck I'll be drilling spoke holes next weekend, and the wheel centers will then be complete.

The rims are dimpled and drilled, and the spokes and nipples are in stock. I will be shipping complete, brand new, Buffalo wire wheels before the end of the year. While all of these wheel centers are already sold, I will be starting the next batch almost immediately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

I think the brand new wheel centers look better when all laced up... Don't you?

New buffalo wheel set

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Beautiful work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Great work Kevin!!! See U next meeting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I'm doing my best to give this project the attention to quality and detail that I feel it deserves.

Hal,
Feel free to stop by the house on your way to the next meeting and I'll show you around the shop. Just 2 blocks away

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Congrats on the baby. The wheels are awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

They just keep multiplying!!! ;)

New buffalo wire wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Just finished test fitting a 21" lockring rim to a new Buffalo wheel center. The rim was salvaged from an Ash wheel and uses a different spoke lacing pattern than a typical Buffalo. After drilling the wheel center to match the rim spoke pattern, it laced right up. Now that this one is together... Only 4 more to go

21" Buffalo wire wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Spending today boxing up the first 3 sets of all new Buffalo wire wheels. Should have all these wheels on the truck this week.

Next up is a couple of 21" rim sets, a 19" rim set... and then several more sets of clincher rim wheels still on back order.

My hope is to have a couple complete sets of wheels and hubs on the shelf and ready for your call by next spring.

New buffalo wheels ready to ship

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Nice product Kevin. What is your cost for a complete non demountable set please.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Scott, PM sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Believe it or not... There are 13 brand new Buffalo wire wheels in this crate!!!

Just the beginning... ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 12:15 am:

Kevin, U are a genius!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 12:45 am:

Who ever gets them will be proud, they look fabulous.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration